[SOLVED] Docker compose up recreates every time

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this - I’ve been a Docker (with compose) user for many years, but this is the first time I haven’t been able to find an issue with Google, so it’s my first post (yay me).

I’m running Docker CE version 23.0.1 on two different Ubuntu 22.04.1 machines and my daily routine is to run docker compose pull followed by docker compose up -d every morning manually because I like to see what’s going on. I’ve noticed that for the last week or so that docker compose up -d is recreating every container that has been updated recently, even if it recreated it previously.

My containers are running fine and everything is stable, but I wouldn’t expect this kind of behavior and I can’t find where anything has changed.

I was able to “clear” this issue yesterday by stopping all containers, running docker system prune -a, and then running docker compose up -d again, but today after a few containers were upgraded, I see the issue again:

Sample from one machine:

roddie@plex ~/docker% docker compose up -d
[+] Running 1/1
 ⠿ Container plex  Started                                                 8.0s
roddie@plex ~/docker% docker compose up -d
[+] Running 1/1
 ⠿ Container plex  Started  

Thank you for any tips!

Update - This might be related to this issue. I will mark as resolved once I confirm.

1 Like

Update #2 - Downgraded to docker-compose-plugin 2.15.1 (from 2.16.0) and all is good.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your finding and the mitigation :slight_smile: