[SOLVED] Docker Failed to Start - Docker Desktop for Windows

@flaviocampelo, saved my work. Thank you very much.

1 Like

This solution worked for me too.

1 Like

Same, thanks a lot for the tip.

Thanks to the good people here.

1 Like

Hi @flaviocampelo I have a similar situation. After upgrading to 4.3.2 whenever I try to launch Docker Desktop I get the error: “Docker failed to initialize. Docker Desktop is shutting down.”

Does deleting files in “C:\Users{…}\AppData\Local\Docker” solve the problem? This directory contains “wsl\data\ext4.vhdx”. Deleting this will delete existing containers also? After deleting files will the existing volumes and containers get restored? Because I have several containers and don’t want to lose the data. BTW, I didn’t create an account while working with docker.

P.S: I already deleted files in “C:\Users{…}\AppData\Local\Docker Desktop Installer”, but it didn’t help me.

Thanks in advance

2 Likes

Hello @sourabh1107

I don’t remember if I lost all of my containers.

My suggestion is to make a copy of that folder in a security place. Delete the original folder and try to use Docker. Then if you lose something you can use your backuped folder.

Hello @flaviocampelo thanks for the update.

Hi @tamal0007 I am in a similar situation. Does deleting files in “C:\Users{…}\AppData\Local\Docker” solve the problem? This directory contains “wsl\data\ext4.vhdx”. Deleting this will delete existing containers also? After deleting files will the existing volumes and containers get restored? Because I have several containers and don’t want to lose the data. BTW, I didn’t create an account while working with docker.

Your help will be much appreciated.

1 Like

thanks more it’s i got the solution.

1 Like

None of the solutions listed have worked for me, I’ve tried everything.
As a precursor, there is no issue with my version of Windows, Docker Desktop was fully running/working on my local machine and randomly developed issues. I have Windows 11 Enterprise

Hyper-V, WSL and Windows Hypervisor platform features are all enabled
Virtualization is fully enabled within my BIOS

WSL is installed as well as Ubuntu as a distro (this is 1 part that I’m unsure about. Because Ubuntu will NOT start unless I downgrade the wsl default version from 2 to 1. I’m not sure if Docker will need wsl version 2 running, but Ubuntu as a distro won’t start with version 2 enabled).

I always run Docker Desktop as Admin, I also install as Admin
I did not have an "%Appdata%/wslconfig file to delete, it didn’t exist despite wsl being installed

I have tried reinstalling Docker Desktop WITHOUT any of the above-mentioned Windows features enabled, then re-enabling and again restarting AFTER Docker is installed.

I have navigated to %AppData% and deleted both the Docker and Docker Desktop folders. This actually worked the FIRST time I installed Docker and had the same issue. However since today I’ve tried this along with all of the above numerously and this has not worked this time.

All of these have not worked. And what’s more, Docker Desktop was working perfectly fine yesterday, then, randomly does not work after no changes were made to it, the WSL, the Ubuntu Distro or even my Windows OS. Now, 7 hours later into trying everything and nothing has worked.

So, what error does Docker feed me?

1. When I first reinstall Docker Desktop, I’m immediately given an Error message saying this and prompting me to Reset to factory defaults:

System.InvalidOperationException:
Failed to deploy distro docker-desktop to C:\Users\v-kescul\AppData\Local\Docker\wsl\distro: exit code: -1
stdout: Error: 0x80041002

1. After resetting to factory defaults, Docker Desktop launches and displays the message “Docker Engine is starting” until the point where I see for the millionth time “Docker Engine has failed to start”
1 Like

Thank you so much!!! This is the only thing that worked for me after trying for hours to make docker desktop run again.

1 Like

worked! thanks

funcionou!

The recommended steps in order as listed worked for me.

works for me, thanks

I really realllllllllllllly appreciate for this
thx

simple n works, thanks <3

In my case I had a syntax error in ~\.docker\daemon.json file that was causing this

(of course the error screen could stand to be more informative why it’s failing)

3 Likes

Actually, I didn’t have to delete it. I opened it in Notepad++ and noticed that there was a syntax error! Corrected it and Docker Desktop started without problems.

You should disable security programs before installing and starting docker

1 Like

You are right, I started it directly with administrator mode and succeeded

Im running windows 10 home i installed wsl enabled hyper v platform. Docker desktop installed but it will not run the engine is always on stopped and wont turn on or even load the settings. Is hyper v platform the same as hyper v? i know it has to be enabled for docker to work properly. Or do i have to have wsl running before i start docker or do i have to start docker from wsl… all docs i seen mentioned wsl but did not say how to start docker from wsl cml the docs just said to open docker from the app its self