[SOLVED] Docker Failed to Start - Docker Desktop for Windows

This worked for me as well

The Docker systray icon and window vanished after upgrading to 4.10.x. I tried everything in this thread and nothing was working. I uninstalled, deleted the %AppData%/Docker folder once again, then installed 4.9.x here: Docker Desktop release notes | Docker Documentation. That finally worked.

1 Like
  1. Uninstall Docker Desktop
  2. Restart computer
  3. Install Docker Desktop (make sure to install it with admin rights)

Worked for me too. Thanks a lot.

Please assist!

How do I manage this Docker’s error I get when I try restarting?

Docker.Core.Backend.BackendDestroyException:
Failed to start
at Docker.Core.Pipe.NamedPipeClient.d__5.MoveNext()
— End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown —
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at Docker.Core.Pipe.NamedPipeClient.Send(String action, Object parameters)
at Docker.Actions.DoStart(SynchronizationContext syncCtx, Boolean showWelcomeWindow, Boolean withNotifications)
at Docker.Actions.<>c__DisplayClass26_0.b__0()
at Docker.ApiServices.TaskQueuing.TaskQueue.<>c__DisplayClass18_0.<.ctor>b__1()

Docker.Core.DockerException:
Failed to start
at Docker.Backend.ContainerEngine.Linux.DoStart(Settings settings, String daemonOptions, Credential credential)
at Docker.Backend.ContainerEngine.Linux.Start(Settings settings, String daemonOptions, Credential credential)

This works for me. Thank you

this worked , thanks

I quit docker desktop then ran it again. The message went away.

worked for me, thanks!

I had to reinstall the Docker Desktop and then worked.

Please try the following:

1. Go to System Tools => Resource Monitor GUI for windows
  2. Check which service is using port 53,
  3. Once you identify it, kill the process as follows: taskkill /f /pid [PID].

Hope it helps. Regards

1 Like

You are the man! It works​:pray::pray::pray:

Hi,as you can see,I follow your advice and even re-install the docker desktop again but it is not working in my wsl2,so is there anyone can help me get rid of this annoyed problem,I have been struggled with this for two days and didn’t have any progress:-(

Update:I’m very superised that I can run the command properly just using docker.exe like the picture above this morning,so is there something wrong with my symbolic link?below is the output of which docker
and it seems no problem.so is there anyone can explain me for this wired fact?I really want to know what’s happening inside my wsl2 or docker desktop!

Because new users can only put one embedded media item in a post.so I put the output of which docker here

You have already shared it in your first post.

docker.exe is an other executable. It works because WSL supports running Windows commands from a WSL distribution so it gives you the same result as you would get when you run it on Windows directly in PowerShell or cmd.

docker works too, but this is not supported because you did not enabled WSL integation exactly as the error message says in your first post.

Try to run an other command which you know does not exist. For example

docker-fake version

You will get:

docker-fake: command not found

Your error message on the other hand clearly indicates that it knows about docker, the binary that you got from which docker ran and you can try to run it using the full path to see the same result, just use quotation marks because of the space in the path:

"/mnt/c/Program Files/Docker/Docker/resources/bin/docker" version

Note that Docker Desktop will run Docker in an other WSL distribution. WSL intergation just helps you run the Docker client in a chosen distribution so you can use scripts that work in bash instead of using PowerShell. If you want that, you need to enable it first in the Docker Desktop settings.

Go to Settings » Resources » WSL integration

There you can “Enable integration with my default WSL distro” or choose a specific distribution below that option. Then “Apply & Restart” and the docker command should work from the WSL distro you have chosen.

For those that use non-admin accounts, in my case, a “Local Account” (Not signed in with a Microsoft account) where Docker fails to start. First thing to do is to look at the log file in the command prompt:

C:\Users\Firstname Lastname\AppData\Local\Docker>type log.txt
CommandLine: "C:\Program Files\Docker\Docker\Docker Desktop.exe"
You can send feedback, including this log file, at https://github.com/docker/for-win/issues
[2022-10-25T21:29:11.417085500Z][GUI               ][Info   ] Starting...
[2022-10-25T21:29:11.786600400Z][GUI               ][Error  ] Access denied to Docker. Exiting.

You’ll need to add your local account to the existing docker-users group which you can follow here:

1 Like

Thank you for your sincere reply but the integration is enabled by default as soon as you successfully install the docker desktop and I also choose my specific distro below that option.The problem is that I can’t use docker command even when I have turned all these options on.Now I have found a post on reddit which meets the same prblem with me and his soltion is re-install the distro after you have exported your origin distro to the aother place.I will update this comment if there is any progress

I don’t think it was enabled on my Desktop, but it was a while ago, so maybe it changed later. If it is enabled, then it should work. Or I can imagine that it is not enabled but it looks like it is and you need to disable, restart Docker Desktop and enable again.

If it doesn’t work when you enable it in a specific distribution, it could be a bug, but it worked for me as expected.

I hope it will work.

I have re-install a Ubuntu 20.04 distro and now it works but the only problem is that I need to configure all my environment again(Actually is not so much,just a usb driver and stable diffusion webui)

fixed the problem
thank you