Swarm failed just after creation

Expected behavior

Having a swarm up and running once deployed on azure

Actual behavior

When ssh in my cluster, I get the following message:
swarm-manager000000:~$ docker node ls
Error response from daemon: This node is not a swarm manager. Use “docker swarm init” or “docker swarm join” to connect this node to swarm and try again.

Additional Information

Steps to reproduce the behavior

1. follow this guide: https://beta.docker.com/docs/azure/
  2. SSH on manager. run docker node ls

Thanks @kapptivate,

Could you please run docker-diagnose and provide the ID associated with the diagnostics run?

here is the output:

Welcome to Docker!

swarm-manager000000:~$ docker node ls
Error response from daemon: This node is not a swarm manager. Use "docker swarm init" or "docker swarm join" to connect this node to swarm and try again.
swarm-manager000000:~$ docker-diagnose
Error response from daemon: This node is not a swarm manager. Use "docker swarm init" or "docker swarm join" to connect this node to swarm and try again.
"docker node inspect" requires at least 1 argument(s).
See 'docker node inspect --help'.

Usage:  docker node inspect [OPTIONS] self|NODE [NODE...]

Display detailed information on one or more nodes
Done requesting diagnostics.
Your diagnostics session ID is 1481624703-RSHaOeOhEL9oPohPyRJcgBLuCfhIWpVm
Please provide this session ID to the maintainer debugging your issue.
swarm-manager000000:~$

Thanks @kapptivate. We will need some more data from your setup. Can you share the output of the command docker logs $(docker ps --filter name=init-azure) ? Please post the output log to https://gist.github.com/ and send us the URL at docker-for-iaas@docker.com if that works for you.

It seems there is no real logs on the machine (the init-azure container is not present)

swarm-manager000000:~$ docker ps
CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                                                  COMMAND                  CREATED             STATUS                       PORTS                     NAMES
1911b186108c        docker4x/l4controller-azure:azure-v1.13.0-rc2-beta12   "loadbalancer run ..."   22 hours ago        Up 22 hours                                            editions_controller
d9a153e3ba95        docker4x/guide-azure:azure-v1.13.0-rc2-beta12          "/entry.sh"              22 hours ago        Up 22 hours                                            editions_guide
36b536ea58bd        docker4x/meta-azure:azure-v1.13.0-rc2-beta12           "metaserver -flavo..."   22 hours ago        Up 22 hours                  10.0.0.7:9024->8080/tcp   meta-azure
5f4d3fd46e36        docker4x/logger-azure:azure-v1.13.0-rc2-beta12         "python /server.py"      22 hours ago        Restarting (1) 7 hours ago                             editions_logger
3bd2bcd39524        docker4x/agent-azure:azure-v1.13.0-rc2-beta12          "supervisord --con..."   22 hours ago        Up 22 hours                                            agent
swarm-manager000000:~$ docker logs $(docker ps --filter name=init-azure)
"docker logs" requires exactly 1 argument(s).
See 'docker logs --help'.

Usage:  docker logs [OPTIONS] CONTAINER

Fetch the logs of a container
swarm-manager000000:~$

Can you try docker logs $(docker ps -a | grep init-azure | cut -d' ' -f1) please? The init container doesnot show up in regular docker ps output since it exits after some init tasks.

Thanks.

I just sent you the logs to your email address.

I am also having the same issues. Any resolution on this?

@k1ck3rtw the earlier issue resulted from incorrect SP credentials passed to the ARM template. What failure are you seeing? Does docker node ls work successfully from the master nodes?

This issue has been resolved. The problem was when running
"docker4x/create-sp-azure", it would use my default Azure resource group
even if I explicitly selected a different resource group. After mentioning
this in forums, the image was updated in docker hub to not do this.

2 Likes