System.Data.SqlClient exception when installing Docker Desktop for Windows

Hi

I’m attempting to install Docker Desktop on a Windows 10 enterprise machine and the installer is throwing the following exception:

NLog.NLogConfigurationException: Error during initialization of target DatabaseTarget(Name=database_wrapped) —> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly ‘System.Data.SqlClient’ or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly reqAssembly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(AssemblyName assemblyRef)
at NLog.Targets.DatabaseTarget.SetConnectionType()
at NLog.Targets.DatabaseTarget.InitializeTarget()
at NLog.Targets.Target.Initialize(LoggingConfiguration configuration)
— End of inner exception stack trace —
at NLog.Targets.Target.Initialize(LoggingConfiguration configuration)
at NLog.Targets.Target.NLog.Internal.ISupportsInitialize.Initialize(LoggingConfiguration configuration)
at NLog.Config.LoggingConfiguration.InitializeAll()
at NLog.LogFactory.RefreshExistingLoggers()
at NLog.LogFactory.get_Configuration()
at NLog.LogFactory.GetLoggerThreadSafe(String name, Type loggerType)
at Docker.Core.ComponentVersions…ctor() in C:\workspaces\PR-26059\src\github.com\docker\pinata\win\src\Docker.Core\ComponentVersions.cs:line 23
at Docker.Core.Logging.Logger.Header(String filename, IWindowsOsInfo windowsOsInfo) in C:\workspaces\PR-26059\src\github.com\docker\pinata\win\src\Docker.Core\Logging\Logger.cs:line 213
at Docker.Core.Logging.Logger.Initialize(String filename, ConsoleMode consoleMode) in C:\workspaces\PR-26059\src\github.com\docker\pinata\win\src\Docker.Core\Logging\Logger.cs:line 171
at Docker.Installer.Program.GetLogManager(ConsoleMode consoleMode)
at Docker.Installer.Program.Run(String args)
at Docker.Installer.Program.Main(String args)

v4.8 of the .net framework is installed as is .net core 3 and .net 5, 6 and 8.

Any ideas how to fix this?

I was running the installation file from my downloads folder. Moving this out of the downloads folder into another fixed the issue.

I’m guessing some security policies applied by my organisation stopped the process from accessing certain areas of the file system when running from the downloads folder.