Unable to build multi stage dockerfile on DockerHub anymore

I have not been able to build a multi stage dockerfile in a while. The commit that broke it was just a readme file change so it doesn’t make sense. It’s been weeks and I can’t figure out how to fix it.
I keep getting the error:

error: failed to solve: rpc error: code = Unknown desc = executor failed running [/bin/sh -c apt-get -qq update -y && apt-get -qq dist-upgrade -y]: exit code: 100

Build failed using Buildkit

The last successful build

First failed build

It builds fine locally and I’ve been able to push a couple images, but the building on dockerhub just stopped.
Any ideas or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Max

I don’t know if those build links are public, so just in case the project is called RageDB, it is open source and it is hosted on DockerHub

The build links are not public, but it redirected to the public page of that image.

If the readme triggered the build, it is possible that you used a base image which has changed, but it works locally if you had an older version with the same tag. Since the failing line is the one beginning with “apt-get update”, it is also possible that it fails because the repository urls has changed either in the version on your local machine or in the version you use on Docker Hub. I could not test it, it is just possible. Or you could have a typo in your command which I can’t see and you wrote only the README file changed.
Some relevant links:

You should check if your local image and the on on Docker Hub is different. Try with and without buildkit

DOCKER_BUILDKIT=0 docker build ...
DOCKER_BUILDKIT=1 docker build ...

Check the same line with the same base image without multi stage build if you haven’t done it yet, but I don’t think that it matters.

If you can’t find any difference and we can’t figure our the issue, than it can be a Docker Hub issue as well, for example some firewall breaking the request towards the APT repositories if that would give us the same error code. I am not sure.

I haven’t quite gotten it to work but I made some progress understanding the problem. It’s the old version of Docker running DockerHub. Version: 20.10.7 vs 20.10.14

Several Linux distributions (among Ubuntu 21.10 and Fedora 35) started to use Glibc 2.34 or higher. Running these distributions in the current version of Docker (<= 20.10.8) can lead to problems.

This blog post explains it.

KernelVersion: 4.4.0-1060-aws
Components: [{u'Version': u'20.10.7', u'Name': u'Engine', u'Details': {u'KernelVersion': u'4.4.0-1060-aws', u'Os': u'linux', u'BuildTime': u'2021-06-02T11:54:58.000000000+00:00', u'ApiVersion': u'1.41', u'MinAPIVersion': u'1.12', u'GitCommit': u'b0f5bc3', u'Arch': u'amd64', u'Experimental': u'false', u'GoVersion': u'go1.13.15'}}, {u'Version': u'1.4.6', u'Name': u'containerd', u'Details': {u'GitCommit': u'd71fcd7d8303cbf684402823e425e9dd2e99285d'}}, {u'Version': u'1.0.0-rc95', u'Name': u'runc', u'Details': {u'GitCommit': u'b9ee9c6314599f1b4a7f497e1f1f856fe433d3b7'}}, {u'Version': u'0.19.0', u'Name': u'docker-init', u'Details': {u'GitCommit': u'de40ad0'}}]
Arch: amd64
BuildTime: 2021-06-02T11:54:58.000000000+00:00
ApiVersion: 1.41
Platform: {u'Name': u'Docker Engine - Community'}
Version: 20.10.7
MinAPIVersion: 1.12
GitCommit: b0f5bc3

It’s May and there hasn’t been an update to Docker Hub in a while it seems (November 2021): Docker Hub release notes | Docker Docs

Is there a way I can tell the runner to update it’s Docker version? Or what can I do here?

You can report it on GitHub in the hub-feedback repository as a bug or ask for new version as a feature in the roadmap, but I think it is a bug, since you can’t use new images.