Volume mapping issue with Zeppelin

Hi,

I am running the following to start a zeppelin container:
docker run -dit --name zep -v /notebook:/opt/zeppelin/notebook -p 8080:8080 apache/zeppelin:0.9.0

However I get the error:

1. java.io.IOException: Creating directories for /opt/zeppelin/notebook/.git failed
  2. java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to perform operation: create on org.apache.zeppelin.notebook.repo.NotebookRepoSync

I only get this error with volume mapping. Has anyone experienced this issue?

Thanks.

The zeppelin user with the id “1000” needs permission to write the mounted folder. Make sure it can.

I couldn’t find the Dockerfile where the userid is set, but this is the last couple of entries from the history:

docker image history apache/zeppelin:0.9.0 --no-trunc --format '{{ .CreatedBy }}' | head -n5
/bin/sh -c #(nop)  CMD ["bin/zeppelin.sh"]
/bin/sh -c #(nop)  WORKDIR /opt/zeppelin
/bin/sh -c #(nop)  ENTRYPOINT ["/usr/bin/tini" "--"]
/bin/sh -c #(nop)  EXPOSE 8080
/bin/sh -c #(nop)  USER 1000

You can also find it on Docker Hub: apache/zeppelin:0.9.0 history

Bonus command to get the last five entries of the history from the oldest to the newest:

nl <(docker image history apache/zeppelin:0.9.0 --no-trunc --format '{{ .CreatedBy }}') | sort -r | cut -f2- | tail -n5
/bin/sh -c #(nop)  USER 1000
/bin/sh -c #(nop)  EXPOSE 8080
/bin/sh -c #(nop)  ENTRYPOINT ["/usr/bin/tini" "--"]
/bin/sh -c #(nop)  WORKDIR /opt/zeppelin
/bin/sh -c #(nop)  CMD ["bin/zeppelin.sh"]

Thank you, I solved this by setting the user to 0 in docker run.

docker run -dit --name zep -p 8080:8080 -u 0 -v $(pwd)/notebook:/opt/zeppelin/notebook apache/zeppelin:0.9.0

Now it has write permission because it starts with root user inside the container. Try to avoid that especially when the image has a non-root user by default. Setting permissions is just one command on the host.

sudo chown -R 1000:1000 /notebook

Thanks again! I originally thought the issue is not having permission to write within the container, but now I understand that the zeppelin user is trying to write in the host folder. Another solution that I tried is creating the directory first with the 1000 user on the host before running the command, this worked as well!