What Mother Forgot To Tell You About Running Docker on Windows 10

It’s late in December 2019 and I decided to learn about running Docker on Windows 10.

After following the instructions to install/enable Hyper-V and Containers features on my Windows 10 laptop running Windows version 1909 (OS Build 18363.535) I could not get Dockers for Windows to run, not even elevated (a.k.a., Run as Administrator).

The pop-up error window said:

Hyper-V service vmms is not available.
Please ensure Hyper-V is enabled.
If you just enabled Hyper-V, please restart now.

I opened Control Panel, Local Services, scrolled through each one looking (in vain as it turns out) for the mysterious vmms service. I even hauled out trusty PowerShell Core 6 and ran:

Get-Service

That too showed that there was no such service even installed, much less running.

The problem turns out that there is a third required Windows Feature that must be installed/enabled that is not mentioned in the current tutorial documentation:

Windows Hypervisor Platform

Once I enabled that additional required service and rebooted, the “doodle/cheers2019” tutorial ran successfully, WITHOUT having to start Docker for Windows in elevated mode nor did I have to run PowerShell 6 in elevated mode to complete the tutorial.

Would somebody please add “Windows Hypervisor Platform” to the list of required Windows Features so that others will not experience the issue that I encountered?

For those of you who are familiar with PowerShell, you can install/enable all three of the required features in an ELEVATED (run as administrator) PowerShell prompt:

# Install-Hyper-V
Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName 'Microsoft-Hyper-V-All' -All -Verbose 
# For Docker support these must also be installed:
Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName 'Containers' -All -Verbose
Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName 'HypervisorPlatform' -All -Verbose