Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Can I run Docker for Windows on Windows 10 Home with Hyper-V support?

docker

(Lasciviousgrace) #1

Hi,

I started learning Docker today, and downloaded Docker for Windows but I got an error during the installation process that said -

Installation failed: one prerequisite is not fulfilled
Docker for Windows requires Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise version 14393, or Windows server 2016 RTM to run

I then researched online that Docker for Windows runs only on Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise machines as they have Hyper-V support. The recommended solution for older machines is to install Docker Toolbox.

When I tried to install Docker Toolbox, I got this error -

Running pre-create checks…
Error with pre-create check: “This computer doesn’t have VT-X/AMD-v enabled. Enabling it in the BIOS is mandatory”
Looks like something went wrong in step ´Checking if machine default exists´… Press any key to continue…

So, turns out if the machine supports virtualization, it needs to be enabled in BIOS manually if it’s disabled.

So I went to the task manager to see if virtualization was supported, and it was. While virtualization was currently “disabled”, it did say “Hyper-V” was supported too -

Virtualization: Disabled
Hyper-V support: Yes

Since Hyper-V is supported, is there any way I can install Docker for Windows, even though my machine is Windows 10 Home?

(Juliuspiv) #2

Hey @lasciviousgrace

Docker’s Docker for Windows documentation states that the Hyper-V role is required in order to use Docker for Windows. In addition, Microsoft’s Hyper-V documentation, states the Windows 10 Home SKU is not elieble to enable the Hyper-V role. If you upgrade to Pro you’ll be able to do this without issue.

Alternatively, use Docker Toolbox.