Create docker images

I have an application , where the app server is on windows server 2008 r2 and database is on a linux machine.
I want to create docker images for both.
I have created the database image.
But I’m not sure if the “app server image” will run properly because the base image I’m going to use for app server is “microsoft/windowsservercore” , which is Windows Server 2016 Server Core base OS image for Windows containers.

https://hub.docker.com/r/microsoft/windowsservercore/

Will there be compatibility issues or any other issues ?

You have only 2 choices in running Windows Containers: server core and nano server.
Since you are migrating from 2008 most likely you don’t have much choice but go with server core. Depending on what dependencies are it might or might not be possible to move that application to run in server core. Server core in Windows Container is not the same as the one you can run yourself. It’s severely restricted as far as remote administration is concerned and if you have dependencies on COM objects etc you are in big trouble.
You can find some basic windows containerws walktrhough I put together below
Walthrough

Actually , windows 10 build should be >=14372 for the option “Switch to
windows containers”.

Hi

Thanks for helping.

I have one more doubt .

I have a microsoft/windowsservercore container running but I cannot
download anything inside that, in short I cannot access the internet from
inside the container.
I tried to set up the corporate proxy , but still no success.

I’m using Docker for windows and not ToolBox.

docker version ->

Client:

Version: 1.12.2-cs2-ws-beta

API version: 1.25

Go version: go1.7.1

Git commit: 050b611

Built: Tue Oct 11 02:35:40 2016

OS/Arch: winows/amd64

Server:

Version: 1.12.2-cs2-ws-beta

API version: 1.25

Go version: go1.7.1

Git commit: 050b611

Built: Tue Oct 11 02:35:40 2016

OS/Arch: windows/amd64

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance for replying.

Hello All,

I am new to docker and trying to create my own image (windows 10)…Could you please send me the steps to create the image…I have got images from repository that is fine…How can i create it by my own in cmd promt…

The Docker documentation has a very good tutorial on building and running custom images.