Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Creating own windows parent image

(Assistanz247) #1

Hi All,

I have a question regarding docker images. Every time I need to download the docker images from the docker hub repository.

Is it possible to create own base image (I.e parent image) using the windows 2016 ISO file?

(Caryroys) #2

I am also trying to work this out, and I have an extremely good reason for it.

I’m trying to set up a TFS build agent inside a docker package. I actually have this working using a GMSA account.

The problem is the build tools. We need to install Visual Studio inside a container, and then a bunch of extensions in order to compile certain types of solutions. The VSIX installer doesn’t work on Server Core because the .Net Native runtimes can’t be registered without a full Desktop environment.

Therefore, I need a Non-Server-Core parent image. Either building it myself, or inside the official repo.

(Caryroys) #3

Well, if anyone else is running into this, the official statement from Microsoft on how to get build extensions into a Server Core machine is to extract the contents of a *.vsix package, manually copy it in and cross your fingers.

This is why we need a Non-Windows-Core option, or a “snapshot machine to base-image” functionality.