Docker desktop has stopped

1. windows 10 pro 21h2 19044
  2. somebody said, that i should install wsl2 and i installed wsl2 ubuntu 20.04
  3. smb said that wslEngineEnabled should be true in c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\docker\settings.json and it is
  4. docker is 4.9.1 (81317)
    Do you have any other advices (except installing linux in virtual box:))? Or maybe you can advice other stable version of docker?

In my head smb was Samba server. It took me some time to realize it was ā€œsomebodyā€. Please, write full words and sentences to make sure more users can understand you.

Just follow the official documentation to install Docker. If you did that, check it again if you missed anything. You can try to uninstall Docker desktop and remove all configuration files, then reinstall it.

There are many topics about Docker Desktop stopping or crashing
I recommend you to read and see if any of those can help. Since I donā€™t often use Windows, I canā€™t tell you a better solution and I would not repeat others comment from the rest of the topics :slight_smile:

You should also check the troubleshooting documentation

why even bother to reply

Thank you for your attention, sweet

Were you able to find a solution?

Just for clarification, I suggested following the official documentation since your Docker Desktop version is old and the docs already containers the requirements which is different depending on what backend you choose (WSL2, Hyper-V). Since sou were not able to give us any error message, the first goal is to try to get some. Since I use Docker Desktop mainly on mac I donā€™t have more experience with Windows,

If you canā€™t find any solution on the forum searching for the keywords I suggested, you can always try to report the issue on GitHub where actual developers could see the report.

Since Docker Desktop is not open source, we have no way to look for error messages in the code.

If you donā€™t understand something in my answer, feel free to ask for more clarification.

Rimelek, Upper message was not for you. Thank you for your help.
In summer I decided not to use windows for development, because in general it is not a good idea to use windows when you write on Python.
A few days ago I decided to install docker in wsl first using instructions for ubuntu (I did not do this part in summer), than i installed docker desktop. And finally it works on windows too.

1 Like

I am glad it finally works. Maybe you know that very well, but since there are some confusion around Docker CE and Docker Desktop usually, I wanted to add that Docker Desktop will not use your originally installed Docker CE, so if you enabled WSL intergation that could ā€œhideā€ the original docker daemon in WSL and the new client would probably connect to the Docker daemon running in Docker Desktopā€™s WSL distribution.

If installing Docker CE in WSL helped you, then maybe some settings/features were missing and your configuration was able to fix Docker Desktop as well. Just make sure you connect to the Docker daemon you want to.

I tried to use docker desktop and docker ce on ubuntu and as for me there is no difference what to use. they both can see images and work with images of each other

Either I misunderstand you or it is not true. Docker Desktop canā€™t use the images of Docker CE installed in a custom WSL distribution. Docker Desktop runs its own distribution called ā€œdocker-desktopā€ and an other for storing the data called ā€œdocker-desktop-dataā€ and Docker CE in an other distribution would use /var/lib/docker in that distribution.

If you can run the docker client in your ubuntu WSL distribution to see the Docker images in Docker Desktop, it means you have enabled (or it was enabled by default) the WSL intergation in Docker Desktop so you are not using Docker CE anymore.

Rimelek, thatā€™s misunderstanding. I use ubuntu in windows as wsl and as an isolated os that is installed on other drive. That makes some confusion. When iā€™m talking about using both docker ce and docker desktop I mean the second variant.
I think itā€™s quite hard to choose wrong daemon.

Okay. ā€œimages of each otherā€ confused me