Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Docker load files from external HDD to linux machine (centos)

Hi,

I’m new to docker and I’m trying to do the following:

Run a virtual machine via

docker run -ti centos:latest

That will allow me to access an external HDD on my mac machine at location Volumes/Seagate/data.

I’d like to add files to this external HDD but I need to use linux interactively to do so. The external HDD is in ExFAT format.

Is there a way to do this?

I’ve tried

docker run -v $pwd:/home/ -ti centos:latest

while in my current directory, but the machine it launches has an empty home/ folder. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

I think its because of the $pwd.

Can you try and change it to {PWD} ( if you're on a linux host, it might be (pwd) instead )

Hi terpz, thanks for the reply. I’m using mac OS to run docker, so it should be $pwd. I changed it to (pwd) and {pwd} and it did not run unfortunately.

I generally prefer to designate the present working directory via pwd, like so, which is a bit more portable across distributions:
docker run -v `pwd`:/home/ -ti centos:latest

If you prefer to use the named environment variables, then on my Mac, using the stock shell, $PWD works, while $pwd is undefined, like so

$ echo $PWD

/Users/myusername

$ echo $pwd

$

which means that

docker run -v $PWD:/home -ti centos:latest

may work for you

1 Like

Hi Bryce,

Thanks for the suggestion! I think you have to use $pwd to access it, as using the other options gave me the following error (Apparently you can’t use uppercase, but lowercase will be recognized):

chrismacbook:bdata chris$ docker run -v $PWD:/home/ -ti centos:latest
docker: invalid reference format: repository name must be lowercase.
See 'docker run --help'.
chrismacbook:bdata chris$ docker run -v `pwd`:/home/ -ti centos:latest
docker: invalid reference format: repository name must be lowercase.
See 'docker run --help'.

I was thinking it may have to do with the drive being in ExFat format… But I wouldn’t know what other format to use for big files.

Edit: Thanks Bryce,

I played around with your example a bit and I realized why it wasn’t working – my external harddrive was named with a space (by default) so the pwd and $PWD representations didn’t work. Changing the harddrive name to a single word allowed me to run your commands and it’s working as it should now! I appreciate all the help! Thanks a lot!