Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Docker pull timeout

I also have this issue with 1.12.0-rc2-beta16 (build: 9493) on a Mac Mini late 2012. Just installed Docker for Mac today. On all other Macs it works without issue.

What @banesto said, works when I connect to my company’s VPN.

I have the same issue:
$ docker run hello-world Unable to find image 'hello-world:latest' locally Pulling repository docker.io/library/hello-world docker: Network timed out while trying to connect to https://index.docker.io/v1/repositories/library/hello-world/images. You may want to check your internet connection or if you are behind a proxy.. See 'docker run --help'.

Diagnostics:
Docker for Mac: version: mac-v1.12.0-beta16.2
OS X: version 10.11.4 (build: 15E65)
logs: /tmp/20160628-102126.tar.gz
failure: No error was detected
[OK] docker-cli
[OK] app
[OK] menubar
[OK] virtualization
[OK] system
[OK] osxfs
[OK] db
[OK] slirp
[OK] moby-console
[OK] logs
[OK] vmnetd
[OK] env
[OK] moby
[OK] driver.amd64-linux

I had this same issue with beta. It seems that when you have corporate dns first on your osx dns list that docker only uses it. If your first dns server isn’t reachable and fails Docker doesn’t trye next name server in list. This is odd because all other apps on osx works greate! Docker’s vms dns points directly to host ip but something after that goes wrong.

Related to:

2 Likes

That could be the case, but I tried the same Docker verions on another computer which do not have VPN installed and it still had the same error, I ended up installing company VPN in order to get it working. :frowning:

That solved my issue as the primary DNS was not reachable at that time. Thanks for the hint!

Solved my issue too, seems that my IPv6 DNS server wasn’t reachable, changing the order in the network settings made the problem go away.

You saved my docker! :slight_smile:

I just experienced this problem and, following an idea in this comment from another thread, I worked around the timeout issues by disconnecting my ethernet cable and using only the WiFi. (Unlike the commenter in that thread, both interfaces were on when I was having trouble.)

Still same issue with the latest version on Windows…

Update: Got it working with pure default Docker configuration (no manual DNS set to 8.8.8.8, no IP V6 deactivation), by removing Unlocator-related settings from the router (its specific DNS server, and maybe more problematic, static routes that redirected 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 to the router itself as recommended to get Chromecast working)! I had to reboot the router afterwards and disable/re-enable local network adapters. Strange that Docker is the only application which encountered issues because of this set-up.

I am experiencing the same problem posted a thread related to it here

This issue is resolved for Mac in Release 1.12.0-rc4-beta20! Thanks guys!

I did some testing, and I wouldn’t really call this completely fixed. Yes, docker will now check the secondary DNS server in the list if the first one does not respond, but it does not seem to continue any further than that, which is an incomplete solution IMO.

For me, my non-work DNS was fourth in the list. Docker (beta21) continued to network time out unless I dragged that server to be either first or second in the list.

I plan to use Docker in a production environment, I just assume not use a beta. Still will try to see if it works.

This still seems to be happening in Docker for Mac after the GA release and after Release 1.12.0-rc4-beta20, as of August 1st. I’m using version: Version 1.12.0-rc5-beta21. My networking is pretty simple (No proxy, etc); and I don’t think this is an issue with my host.

I filed https://github.com/docker/for-mac/issues/66

Does this occur from a local repository? i.e. a repository that does not require you to go through a proxy? I haven’t tested that yet. At least that might for sure tell us if its a proxy issue or not.

I seem to be able to resolve the IP of my repository fine, even if I used its IP, bypassing DNS, I’d get the same result.

I also have this issue. I have simple a internet setup. Home router with DD-WRT, nothing fancy. I changed my dns manually in moby
screen ~/Library/Containers/com.docker.docker/Data/com.docker.driver.amd64-linux/tty
vi /etc/resolve.conf # change to nameserver 8.8.8.8
CTRL+A CTRL+\ to quit

Not ideal since it seems this is required every time docker restarts…

All - this seems to be fixed in Docker 1.12
https://get.docker.com/builds/Linux/x86_64/docker-1.12.1.tgz

if you get a storage driver error use dockerd -s overlay2 &

Then make sure you have your HTTP_PROXY environment variable set prior to starting the dockerd. If it is already started, stop it and start again after you set the env variable.