Does the new docker " swarm mode " still use consul?

does the new docker " swarm mode " still use consul ?

Operating System: Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS
Docker Server Version: 1.12.3-cs4

thanks !!

In short, no. Swarm mode uses a built in raft protocol for consensus and has it’s own service discovery.

In the swarm mode, the default service discovery is etcd.

But if you want, you can use Consul or ZooKeeper.

Sorry for the necro’d thread but while it is stated here you can use Consul I can’t find anyplace in the documentation where you can set that or confirm it’s still true

At my current workplace we have a consul deployment already so I’d prefer to modify it to participate into the existing discovery service but without the docker-machine component I can’t see how.

Can someone point me to some documentation or commands I might be able ot play with?

Replying to my own question: the earlier answer looks to be in error. According to this link to docs using the new swarm mode disables any kind of external kv. Instead you have to use the “multi-host” mode deployed by docker-machine.

https://docs.docker.com/engine/userguide/networking/get-started-overlay/#overlay-networking-with-an-external-key-value-store

Though this is specifically keyvalue … it’s looking like swarm mode is 2 steps forward, one step back.