Error Creating Machine on Mac and Docker Daemon

I’m getting this error message while trying to create a docker machine on a Mac OS X 10.11.4 host machine. I tried to do a new install of Docker but it did not help the situation.

ip-192-168-1-154:etc myusername$ docker-machine create --driver virtualbox default
Running pre-create checks...
Creating machine...
(default) Copying /Users/myusername/.docker/machine/cache/boot2docker.iso to /Users/myusername/.docker/machine/machines/default/boot2docker.iso...
(default) Creating VirtualBox VM...
(default) Creating SSH key...
Error creating machine: Error in driver during machine creation: /usr/local/bin/VBoxManage modifyvm default --firmware bios --bioslogofadein off --bioslogofadeout off --bioslogodisplaytime 0 --biosbootmenu disabled --ostype Linux26_64 --cpus 1 --memory 1024 --acpi on --ioapic on --rtcuseutc on --natdnshostresolver1 off --natdnsproxy1 on --cpuhotplug off --pae on --hpet on --hwvirtex on --nestedpaging on --largepages on --vtxvpid on --accelerate3d off --boot1 dvd failed:
VBoxManage: error: The machine 'default' is already locked for a session (or being unlocked)
VBoxManage: error: Details: code VBOX_E_INVALID_OBJECT_STATE (0x80bb0007), component MachineWrap, interface IMachine, callee nsISupports
VBoxManage: error: Context: "LockMachine(a->session, LockType_Write)" at line 493 of file VBoxManageModifyVM.cpp

I also get the following message while trying to launch the Hello World example.

ip-192-168-1-154:etc myusername$ docker run hello-world
docker: Cannot connect to the Docker daemon. Is the docker daemon running on this host?.
See 'docker run --help'.

Any tips or insight here would be greatly appreciated.

Are you working with Docker 4 Mac or the Docker Toolbox ? It looks like
you are trying to
(re)create your default VM? Firstly clean out any Docker VMs from
VirtualBox and then
retry the create command. The error suggests a that some previous
attempt/instance is
still there. Alternatively, you could try using another name like ‘test’ -
to prove the point?