Error when starting docker.service

Hello,
so my problem is that when I try to connect a node (Raspberry Pi zero W w/ Raspbian Stretch) to a swarm manager, it says:

Cannot connect to the Docker daemon at unix:///var/run/docker.sock. Is the docker daemon running?

So, when I try and run the service, this happens:

sudo systemctl restart docker

Job for docker.service failed because a fatal signal was delivered causing the control process to dump core.
See "systemctl status docker.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

This is the output of “systemctl status docker.service”:

docker.service - Docker Application Container Engine
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/docker.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead) (Result: core-dump) since Sat 2018-11-17 17:38:40 CET; 1min 18s ago
     Docs: https://docs.docker.com
  Process: 648 ExecStart=/usr/bin/dockerd -H unix:// (code=dumped, signal=SEGV)
 Main PID: 648 (code=dumped, signal=SEGV)
      CPU: 416ms

Nov 17 17:38:39 swarm1 systemd[1]: docker.service: Unit entered failed state.
Nov 17 17:38:39 swarm1 systemd[1]: docker.service: Failed with result 'core-dump'.
Nov 17 17:38:40 swarm1 systemd[1]: Stopped Docker Application Container Engine.

And this the output of “journalctl -xe”:

--
-- Unit containerd.service has finished starting up.
--
-- The start-up result is done.
Nov 17 17:38:39 swarm1 systemd[1]: docker.service: Main process exited, code=dumped, status=11/SEGV
Nov 17 17:38:39 swarm1 systemd[1]: Failed to start Docker Application Container Engine.
-- Subject: Unit docker.service has failed
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: https://www.debian.org/support
--
-- Unit docker.service has failed.
--
-- The result is failed.
Nov 17 17:38:39 swarm1 systemd[1]: docker.service: Unit entered failed state.
Nov 17 17:38:39 swarm1 sudo[641]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
Nov 17 17:38:39 swarm1 systemd[1]: docker.service: Failed with result 'core-dump'.
Nov 17 17:38:40 swarm1 systemd[1]: containerd.service: Main process exited, code=dumped, status=4/I
Nov 17 17:38:40 swarm1 systemd[1]: containerd.service: Unit entered failed state.
Nov 17 17:38:40 swarm1 systemd[1]: containerd.service: Failed with result 'core-dump'.
Nov 17 17:38:40 swarm1 systemd[1]: Stopped Docker Application Container Engine.
-- Subject: Unit docker.service has finished shutting down
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: https://www.debian.org/support
--
-- Unit docker.service has finished shutting down.

I hope you can help me solve this problem, because I have no idea of what to do.
By the way, the manager node is running on a Rapberry Pi 3B w/ Debian Stretch too, and that one is working at least for now.

Thank you! :smile:

Hi

How did you install it?
My guess is that you installed the x86_64 version, and not armhf version.

I installed Docker on all 4 systems using the same method: the convenience script.
I say 4 systems because I’m using 3 Rapberry Pi Zero W and a 3B, and Docker works on the 3B, but not on the 'Zero W’s, and they were all installed in the same way :man_shrugging:

I have this issue with Pi Zero W too.

same for me brand new pi Zero W, latest raspbian , nothing installed .
Docker install shows no error
does not start and i get
segmentation fault

I am having the same problem.
Any answers yet?

That is a known issue if you installed Docker 18.09.1.
The workaround is to install 18.06.03 till a patch release becomes available for 18.09.