Failed to create VM "MobyLinuxVM": The operation failed

Expected behavior

After installing Docker, the Docker Engine would start

Actual behavior

Docker installed successfully (at least appeared to install correctly), but I was unable to actually start the service. From the docker log:

[08:11:28.765][Notifications  ][Error  ] Failed to create VM "MobyLinuxVM": The operation failed.

An unexpected error occurred: Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer. (0x80070569).

The operation failed.

The Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service encountered an unexpected error: Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer. (0x80070569).

Information

Edition: Professional
    Id: 1511
    Build: 10586
    BuildLabName: 10586.306.amd64fre.th2_release_sec.160422-1850

Steps to reproduce the behavior

1. Fresh install of Windows 10 Pro x64
  2. Install Hyper-V role (and reboot as needed)
  3. Install Docker for Windows (uncheck the start docker now checkbox)
  4. Start the docker service (even after a reboot it won’t start and the same error above in Actual behavior occurs)

I finally got this working. I tried to manually create a VM in Hyper-V, and it turned out that Hyper-V was having the issue (which is what I expected, but wasn’t sure).

Anyway, I restarted Windows Management Instrumentation service, and Hyper-V was able to create a VM, so I went back to the Docker for Windows app, and had it try to configure itself again, and it worked. I am now able to run a docker image, and it works as expected.

For some reason even a reboot of the system didn’t clear up the issue, but the restart of the Windows Management Instrumentation service took care of the issue.

4 Likes

Sometimes I have to restart the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service too.

Here is how I got it to work.

1. Open Hyper-V Management console
  2. Start MobyLinuxVM manually
  3. Start Docker
    3.a) Try “docker pull hello-world” (failed)
  4. In Hyper-V Management console, select “Virtual Switch Manager”
  5. Change “DockerNAT” from “Internal Network” to “External Network” (and “Apply”)
    5.a) Try “docker pull hello-world” (failed)
  6. Change “DockerNAT” back to “Internal Network” (and “Apply”)
    6.a) Try “docker pull hello-world” (works)

This worked for me!!!