First time Docker install - crashes/unusable

My first time trying to use Docker. Have downloaded and installed Docker Desktop for Windows. Appears to install fine, but am unable to use it. If I try to start the GUI it will just spin for around half an hour and then crash. From the CLI I can’t even complete a version check:

Client: Docker Engine - Community
Cloud integration: 1.0.4
Version: 20.10.0
API version: 1.41
Go version: go1.13.15
Git commit: 7287ab3
Built: Tue Dec 8 18:55:31 2020
OS/Arch: windows/amd64
Context: default
Experimental: true
error during connect: This error may indicate that the docker daemon is not running.: Get http://%2F%2F.%2Fpipe%2Fdocker_engine/v1.24/version: open //./pipe/docker_engine: The system cannot find the file specified.

Docker Desktop Service appears to be running (shows as automatic and running in services.msc). I have Hyper-V installed. WSL2 is installed (and I tested it after the Docker problems by installing and running OpenSuSE Leap). I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled Docker for Windows multiple times now, no change.

I’m on Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 19042.685. What should I be checking next?

I have a similar ordeal here. After various attempts to install it correctly, I feel I should delete anything related to Docker and start fresh, but the uninstaller hangs. I need to find out how to uninstall Docker for Windows and Docker Desktop manually.

I’m able to uninstall successfully. Just using the control panel works fine for me. I’ve been through multiple uninstall/install cycles though and Docker just flat out won’t work for me. I must be missing something somewhere, but I have no idea what it is.

I’ve got it working. I didn’t realize “Containers” for Windows was separate from “HyperV”, so missed that pre-req. After installing “Containers” I uninstalled/reinstalled Docker, no change. However, on next startup, while Docker was hung up in the “starting” phase I was able to hit the bug icon and reset to defaults. It immediately finished connecting and works fine now.

Same problem, still crashes without a message or handy log.
I was missing the whole WSL Ubuntu.