FOG Project - Help request

Apologies ahead of time if this isn’t the correct forum to be posting this request in, I wasn’t sure if general or open source would be a good place for it.

Okay, so I did a search of the forums and there doesn’t seem to be any information related to the FOG Project or its use in a Docker here. If you are unfamiliar with the FOG Project, I would sum it up as a webGUI based PXE image management software, utilizing partclone as its backend. FOG Project

Let me start off with stating I have no connection to the FOG Project other than a desire to see it implemented into a Docker. I also have severely limited experience with Docker, having only been using other peoples images/containers on my unRAID servers. That all being said, let’s get to the nitty-gritty.

Many people, myself included, have wished to get FOG operating in a Docker and away from the VM’s and standalone systems that are currently being utilized for its use. A few people have made efforts to do this, but it seems like they were largely unsuccessful, or had to implement various work-arounds to get things even partially working. The guys working on FOG themselves have admitted that they regularly receive requests to have a Docker of FOG setup, but (my verbage here) they don’t have the resources to get something going on their end as all of their efforts are being focused on making the core of FOG a more solid project. Since it seems like FOG would be a perfect candidate to be run in Docker, I’m here just as a regular Joe to basically to ask if any of you Docker Gurus here might be able to extend a helping hand over to the folks at FOG, and see if there might be a way to get that software up and running in Docker. I don’t know what would be involved in all that, but who knows, I suppose it’s worth a shot to see if anyone here might be interested in FOG’s software, as well and be willing to lend them a helping hand.

Just a wanted to say thanks in advance to anyone who might have an interest in this!

1 Like