Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

How can I specify Ubuntu as my Docker-Machine VM?

(syang) #1

I am trying to use Docker-machine on my Mac, and I understand a VM will be brought up to run docker engines (and the containers launched from here).

However, the default VM seems to run a non Ubuntu (neither CentOS) distro. Can I make the VM run Ubuntu?

(Minghuadev) #2

Hi, I guess it is not really a VM, just an OS-service layer abstracted through mainly the lxc group, but also the libvirt, systemd-nspawn, and libcontainer. Given this why it would matter what the host runs? Inside the container you don’t see what’s hosting it.

(David Maze) #3

If the host isn’t running Linux then you do need a VM. That having been said, I rarely need to access it directly; on either the Docker for Mac or Docker Machine setups, I can run docker commands from an ordinary Terminal window and they work fine, and I don’t usually care what’s in between.

The other approach is, I don’t think there’s any technical reason you couldn’t just install Ubuntu in a VM and install Docker on that. I think the Docker Machine Virtualbox setup is slightly customized, but mostly it has a fixed network setup and shares parts of the host filesystem with the VM.