How to check for and apply updates?

How do I make it check for updates, and apply them of course, of the docker instances? (not the Docker Desktop program)

I’m used to the GUI provided by Unraid, which has a convenient “check for updates” button. It checks each docker instance for updates, and applies them if neccesary, and restarts when done. Could not be simpler.

Because it’s so easy to do in Unraid, I have no clue how to do this in Docker Desktop. Surely it is able to update dockers? Otherwise my dockers will go outdated very quickly…

Context: I’m not a Docker developer. I just have to run a few dockers to support my workflow, so to speak, but I do need to keep them up-to-date.

What you call “dockers” are container. You can archive “auto updates for containers” with e.g. watchtower or ouroboros.

In reality there is no such thing as auto update for containers, as it merly automates the process to check if a tag is update (pointing to a new image), pull the new image, delete the old container (based on the old image), create a new container (based on the new image) based on the configuration of the old container. Only data written into volumes survive this process.

Even though It might appear charming, it will not always result in the desired outcome - especialy if the latest tag is used.