How to know if an Edge channel or a stable channel is installed on my Mac/Windows system?

Hi,

Is there a way to differentiate between a Docker stable channel and an Edge channel, using the terminal? I tried docker -v and docker info, and there’s no way to differentiate using those two commands.

Thanks!

At this moment, the stable channel does not include Kubernetes. Edge does.
So if you see Kubernetes in the top menu of Docker for Mac, it’s Edge.

Also the About Docker dialog shows the Edge icon.

Cheers,
Bas

I understand that. My question was, is there a way to do that from the terminal?

When you use the docker version command, for Edge there is a line saying Experimental: true in the server section:

$docker version
Client:
 Version:      18.05.0-ce
 API version:  1.37
 Go version:   go1.9.5
 Git commit:   f150324
 Built:        Wed May  9 22:12:05 2018
 OS/Arch:      darwin/amd64
 Experimental: false
 Orchestrator: swarm

Server:
 Engine:
  Version:      18.05.0-ce
  API version:  1.37 (minimum version 1.12)
  Go version:   go1.10.1
  Git commit:   f150324
  Built:        Wed May  9 22:20:16 2018
  OS/Arch:      linux/amd64
  Experimental: true

It says the same for the stable version as well. (Including my application folder in the screenshot as well to show you that it is indeed a stable version)

Hmm, OK. Sorry, then I’m stumped.
The only way for me than would be that the kubectl config view command does not include the docker-for-desktop cluster

Yea, I had thought of that, but for that I should’ve already installed Kubernetes using Edge, as the installation does not automatically install Kubernetes. What if I am already using Edge version, but have not setup Kubernetes? In that case, it’ll give me a false negative.

Also, is there a way to install Kubernetes in Edge, from the Terminal? Instead of doing it from the Docker dropdown menu, which is basically doing: Docker Preferences -> Kubernetes -> Check the boxes for “Enable Kubernetes” and “Kubernetes” and “Apply” the changes.

Thank you!