How to share Windows drives with a user without password?

I am using Docker version 1.12.2-rc1, build 45bed2c, experimental (aka Docker Beta) in Windows 10 x64 Anniversary Edition. Because this is my PC and I am the only one using it I didn’t setup any password. Now I want to share D drive with Docker but I can’t because I can’t press OK button without a password as shown in the image below:

I have the option “Password Protected Sharing” set to off in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings as shown in the image below:

What I am doing wrong? Isn’t possible?

1 Like

Did you find a solution to a username without a password ?
Why does docker force a password to be set !

No I don’t. Docker developers said this will be an option in future version but currently isn’t supported so you have to set a password in order to make it works.

Thanks man, I ended up creating a user with password called it “DockerHost” as suggested on other discussions.

Hi,

This post might be helpful if you administer a local user on Docker with shared drives.

Ya, essentially you need to:

• Create a new user (Computer Management → System Tools → Local Users and Groups → Users → Create new user), e.g. “DockerHost”. Give it a password.
  • Mark “User cannot change password” & “Password never expires” (in properties of that user).
  • Add it to “Administrators” group (also in properties of that user).
  • Share the drive where projects reside with the newly created user. i.e. C:/ (Properties of drive → sharing tab → Advanced sharing → Permissions → add the newly created user for docker → give it full access ). Repeat process for specific path to projects folder (for example of another user C:/Users/OtherUser/projects) and make sure it has permissions for full access. Sometimes this is handy for refreshing sharing and make it work.
  • Shared Drives in docker settings - Add user credentials to Docker for Windows, using the newly created user with its password.
1 Like

Nice informative content

2020 and still no answer about this. “Soon” how long will it take?

Well it took a while, but its finally here:

Our new file sharing solution doesn’t need passwords any more. Check out the latest Edge build to try it (v2.1.7.0 https://docs.docker.com/docker-for-windows/edge-release-notes/), it’s not fully released on the stable channel yet but it is coming soon.

Thanks!