Is it possible to import a docker image WITHOUT docker load?

I was wondering if it is possible to manually extract a docker image to the /var/lib/docker directory and load it this way, without actually using docker load.

I’m doing a custom build that uses chroot, which makes it virtually impossible to start the docker daemon and use docker load, so I’m looking for other ways to load the image.

I have also tried copying the entire /var/lib/docker/vfs and /var/lib/docker/images folders, but it seems that there are special files which can’t be copied.

Is there any other way?

For anyone else who might be looking, I think I found a solution for moving an image without using docker load:

1. Add {“data-root”: “/path/to/your/docker”} in /etc/docker/daemon.json on a regular machine running docker.
    Note that the directory needs to be your build folder, in the exact location (/var/lib/docker) where it will be once the build is completed.

2. systemctl restart docker

3. Pull or load the image you’re trying to include in your build.

What happens is that docker will recreate (or move?) the entire /var/lib/docker folder structure to the directory specified in data-root of the daemon.json.

Since you put it in your build folder, you should now be able to complete the build and use this “copy” of /var/lib/docker with all the folders holding the image layers, hopefully enabling you to run the container.

I’ll check if this works and report back.

Yes, I can confirm it works this way.

One thing I noticed is that the images need to be writable before the container is started, which I didn’t expect. So if you’re doing a live boot, the images will be automatically copied to the overlay fs first before the container starts. Gonna try around a bit more if I can get around that.