Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

New Docker for Windows breaks registrator?

(Sarachan) #1

In the new version of Docker for Windows, 18.03.0-ce-win59, Registrator no longer works.

This may have to do with /var/run/docker.sock no longer being available?

The small Docker Compose file below fails every time, but it used to work. I have searched forums and support sites but cannot find the solution. I do not know whether Registrator is being very actively supported. It seems that the support for Windows is minimal.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. We have been using Registrator and Consul for an open-source Docker-based system, and it has worked well until now.

version: ‘3’
services:
consul:
command: -server -bootstrap-expect 1
image: progrium/consul:latest
ports:

• 8300:8300
  • 8400:8400
  • 8500:8500
  • 8600:53/udp

registrator:
command: -internal consul://consul:8500
image: gliderlabs/registrator:latest
links:

• consul
    volumes:
  • /var/run/docker.sock:/tmp/docker.sock

Error message:
ERROR: for app_registrator_1 Cannot create container for service registrator: b’Mount denied:\nThe source path “\var\run\docker.sock:/tmp/docker.sock”\nis not a valid Windows path’
ERROR: for registrator Cannot create container for service registrator: b’Mount denied:\nThe source path “\var\run\docker.sock:/tmp/docker.sock”\nis not a valid Windows path’
ERROR: Encountered errors while bringing up the project.

(Digitalbite) #2

Same problem here but for my traefik container… Any suggestions?

(Sarachan) #3

Thanks for chiming in that you have the problem too. I have tried the few clues that I have been able to find in stackoverflow and elsewhere, but nothing has worked. It seems that Docker for Windows 18.03.0-ce-win59 has changed the way to mount /var/run/docker.sock and I have not been able to find how it should be done now. I hope that someone reading this forum knows the answer.

(Sarachan) #4

Update: I found a workaround here: https://github.com/docker/for-win/issues/1829

Set the environment variable COMPOSE_CONVERT_WINDOWS_PATHS to 1.

Hopefully an upcoming release of Docker for Windows will fix the underlying problem.

(Digitalbite) #5

Thanks for your reply! I wil def. try that solution. Didnt know that the /var/run/docker.sock changed… Explains a lot :smiley: