Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Observium on Synology

Dear all
I am new here.
I try to install/run this package: uberchuckie/observium.
Is ther any furher explanation to that?

The container will run as user:group 99:100. Make sure the user exists.

For me it already stops here? Which password?

Create your Observium config directory (which will contain both the properties file and the database) and then directories for the logs and RRDs and then launch with the following:

where to run that?

docker run -d -v /your-config-location:/config -v /path-to-logs:/opt/observium/logs -v /path-to-rrds:/opt/observium/rrd -p 8668:8668 uberchuckie/observium

To set the timezone for Observium, pass in a valid value as an environment variable:

docker run -d -v /your-config-location:/config -v /path-to-logs:/opt/observium/logs -v /path-to-rrds:/opt/observium/rrd -e TZ=“America/Chicago” -p 8668:8668 uberchuckie/observium

If you do not specify a timezone, the timezone will be set to UTC.

Browse to http://your-host-ip:8668 and login with user and password observium

Thank you so much for hepling me.

Hi

You can create linux users with no password (system users).

“where to run that”
run what?
this: docker run -d -v /your-config-location:/config -v /path-to-logs:/opt/observium/logs -v /path-to-rrds:/opt/observium/rrd -p 8668:8668 uberchuckie/observium ?

run it as a linux command as root, and make the changes to the command before you run it

Ok thank you.
How can I create a linux user? (sorry total beginner).
Running the command line in a shell is understood. I already tried but with an error.

docker: Got permission denied while trying to connect to the Docker daemon socket at unix:///var/run/docker.sock: Post “http://%2Fvar%2Frun%2Fdocker.sock/v1.24/containers/create”: dial unix /var/run/docker.sock: connect: permission denied.
See ‘docker run --help’.

But I guess this is because of the missing user?
For the directory “your-config-location”: is this with “Volume1/…” included?

Thank you so much for helping.

You don’t necessarily need to create a user on the Syno.

If you would have read the documentation, you would have seen that by default only root can use the docker cli. You either need to become root first (sudo -i) or prefix the commands with sudo.

Assumend your docker package is installed on volume1, then this command should do the trick:

sudo docker run -d  \
  -v /volume1/docker/observium/config:/config \
  -v /volume1/docker/observium/logs:/opt/observium/logs \
  -v /volume1/docker/observium/rrd:/opt/observium/rrd \
  -p 8668:8668 \
  uberchuckie/observium  

If the package is installed on a different volume, then you need to replace volume1 in the path with whatever volume your docker package is installed on.

See: List of tz database time zones - Wikipedia, column “TZ database name” for the the value of your timezone that can be used with -e TZ=.

Thanks.
I get this error:

docker: Error response from daemon: Bind mount failed: ‘/volume1/docker/observium/logs’ does not exists.

What could be the reason?
It would be great to read a docu. Where to find?
Thanks a lot.

The error message you posted shows it:

Well, then create it?

sudo mkdir -p  /volume1/docker/observium/{config,logs,rdd}
sudo chown 99:100 -recursive /volume1/docker/observium

Then repeat the docker run command from above again.

About what? Search for uberchuckie/observium on Dockerhub and you see the image description.

1 Like

Thanks.
Sorry my fault. I thought the code makes the directories.
" uberchuckie/observium on Dockerhub" found. But I thought you are refering to a more detailed description.
But anyway it works now.
And thanks for the help.

Actualy it should have, though I am not 100% sure as I never use docker run to create containers.

Glad it works now!

Was just wondering where this comes from?

And is there any chance to access this application ovewr the internet?
Locally it is addressed like this [IP-Adress]:8668
If I forward port 8668 to the Synology I cannot acces it with [Domain]:8668.

Thanks again for helping.

Hi again

If you ran it with “-p 8668:8668” as Metin mentioned, you should be able to access it from the outside, are you sure your isp allows you to do this? Many isp uses Carrier-grade NAT, where you share your public ip with others.

and regarding the other question, if you just keep running the command: docker run … it will create more instances of that image, so that you see there is maybe an old attemt to run the container, if the other one it working, you could just delete that one