Setting up portainer in docker hub

Hi all,i insyalled portainer through the docker gui on my synology.
When i try to connect through the gui of portainer i get this as failure.
Failure Unable to initiate communications with endpoint
and cant get any further.
I want to manage my containers through portainer if its at all mpossible on my synollogy?
Thnx in advance

When the container is created from the ui: nope
When the container is created from the shell: yes, but don’t edit the container otherwise it will break.

can you please help me to compose that?
And why are the images the to find in the docker?
Just a newbie question

No problem, let me google it for you using the keywords “portainer linux install”.
The first result seems like a winner: https://docs.portainer.io/v/ce-2.9/start/install/server/docker/linux

According the page, this is how you run portainer (but you want to replace the volume for the data)

docker run -d -p 8000:8000 -p 9443:9443 --name portainer \
    --restart=always \
    -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock \
    -v portainer_data:/data \
    portainer/portainer-ce:latest

So this is the command that should work for you (if docker is installed on volume1):

docker run -d -p 8000:8000 -p 9443:9443 --name portainer \
    --restart=always \
    -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock \
    -v /volume1/docker/portainer:/data \
    portainer/portainer-ce:latest

i will try this because docker is on volume2 for meand come back at you asap

I am not the one to help you with this: i just google a couple of second and pasted some stuff inside here. I stopped using portainer years ago.

Please check your pm.

I hadn’t noticed that you replaced the path for the left hand side of the -v parameter for /data. It should work like that. But: keep in mind to not edit the Portainer container from the Syno-UI, as it will remove the `-v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock" bind-mount and it can not be re-assigned from the ui (which was you original problem to beginn with).

Even to this day I still use some containers on my Syno NAS, but I don’t use portainer (or the Syno-Docler-UI).