Question about Docker for Azure with Windows Server/Hyper-V Containers

Not sure if this the right place to ask a question, but here go’s.

I’m currently researching the possibilities for .NET applications and Docker (on Windows/Azure) and Octopus Deploy (which has alpha functionality for Docker containers according to the Octopus site).

I’ve implemented Docker for Azure a while ago and noticed that it runs Linux (containerd) applications but not Windows (containerd) applications.

Is there a way to make Docker for Azure work with Windows Containers? I can’t seem to find alot of documentation about the subject.If not, when can such features be expected, IF they are to be expected.

http://windowsitpro.com/azure/can-hyper-v-containers-be-used-azure

These pages told me that it is not yet possbile to run Hyper-V containers (if this isn’t true, please tell), so my Windows 10 system will have to make way for a Windows Server 2016 system or VM for this time being I’m afraid.

Thanks for reading.

@ajm94docker We do have plans to introduce Windows Server based Docker4Azure templates to deploy Docker swarms comprising of Windows hosts in our roadmap. We don’t have a firm date on when we will have that ready at the moment. Will post here when we are in a position to launch Betas for Docker4Azure based on Windows Server. I don’t think it will be possible to deploy Hyper-V containers on Azure until Azure can support nested virtualization (i.e. Hyper-V on top of Azure’s hypervisor).

1 Like

@ddebroy Thanks for reacting! Seems I’m ‘stuck’ to using a Windows Server 2016 VM on Azure for now. Just read that the Azure Container Service don’t yet support Docker Swarm and Windows Containers :frowning:

*In Dutch
"Ondersteuning voor Windows-containers bevindt zich voor Kubernetes-clusters nog in de preview-fase. Op DC/OS- en Swarm-clusters worden momenteel alleen Linux-agents ondersteund in Azure-Container Service."
https://docs.microsoft.com/nl-nl/azure/container-service/container-service-deployment

I’m guessing that there isn’t a firm date for these functionalities to come too?