Read and Write access

I’m sure this is something really simple that i am overlooking.

the docker is complaining that it doesnt have read/write access to a directory i mapped but i did a chmod 777 -R /drives/NVME/.

At first it was complaining about not being bale to make the directories so i tried manually making them, they are definately in the correct location because now its complaining it cant write files.

docker run \
-d \
--name plex \
--network=host \
-e TZ="Australia/Brisbane" \
-e PLEX_UID=1001 \
-e PLEX_GID=1001 \
-e PLEX_CLAIM="<claim-Y7yGkDGEk-7vZV12B8Uv>" \
-v /drives/NVME/plex/database:/config \
-v /drives/NVME/transcode/temp:/transcode \
-v /drives/NVME/media:/data \
plexinc/pms-docker
Starting Plex Media Server.
PMS: failure detected. Read/write access is required for path: /config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server
Stopping Plex Media Server.

[root@plexfileserver NVME]# ls -l
total 28
drwxrwxrwx. 2 root root 16384 Jul 23 01:56 lost+found
drwxrwxrwx. 2 root root  4096 Jul 23 02:16 media
drwxrwxrwx. 3 root root  4096 Jul 23 02:16 plex
drwxrwxrwx. 3 root root  4096 Jul 23 02:16 transcode

TL:DR

Setting up Plex in CentOS 9 and the repository key uses a sha1 hash which is no longer supported.

It was suggested i use docker i’m sure i have done everything else correctly but i just cant get past the permissions issue.

chown 1001:1001 -R /drives/NVME those folders to align the ownership of the folders with the PLEX_UID/PLEX_GID you use as environment variables… I guess subfolders exist that are also owned by root and therefore prevent the uid 1001 inside the container to write into the bound host folder from inside the container.

If after that you still encouter a problem, it is high likely an selinux problem. Can’t help you with that as I don’t run system that use selinux.

Capture

it is still doing it. so you think i need to do some digging with selinux?

a quick google, looks like i just had to add :z on the volume lines

2 Likes

Life saver, that worked for me!