Running Docker toolbox as Standard User in windows 7 -Issue Workaround

Hi
Sharing my experience of running Docker toolkit 1.11.1b on Windows 7 as standard user since I do not see any single consolidated post…

I run Docker toolkit 1.11.1b on Windows 7 with the Virtual box 5.0.20 that comes default with the Docker toolkit installation. The toolkit is installed as admin user with default settings (NDIS 6 driver) . once the installation completes, I switch to standard user (named Internet) for whom the docker image is to be created.

Note: I cannot use admin user since I run the docker on my office machine for which I do not have admin rights.

1. Set Environment variable for the standard user (Internet) to point to the toolbox install directory
    > DOCKER_TOOLBOX_INSTALL_PATH as F:\Program Files\Docker Toolbox and set the > PATH environment variable to include F:\Program Files\Docker Toolbox directory as well

2. On running the Kitematc, creation of the docker host VM begins but fails with

> VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to open/create the internal network ‘HostInterfaceNetworking-VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter #2’ (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND).,(default) DBG | VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to attach the network LUN (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND),(default) DBG | VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code E_FAIL (0x80004005), component ConsoleWrap, interface IConsole,(default) DBG | },(default) DBG | Checking vm logs: C:\Users\internet.docker\machine\machines\default\default\Logs\VBox.log,Unable to start the VM: C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe startvm default --type headless failed:,VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to open/create the internal network ‘HostInterfaceNetworking-VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter #2’ (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND). ,VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to attach the network LUN (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND) ,VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code E_FAIL (0x80004005), component ConsoleWrap, interface IConsole ,Details: 00:00:00.976156 Power up failed (vrc=VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND, rc=E_FAIL (0X80004005)),

The same process when run as admin user completes with no issues at all.

1. In the standard user, I checked the Virtualbox VM and see that the default VM is created with the network adapters

I see that the Adapter 2 is created as well

When I attempt to start the default VM from Virtual box manager, I get the same error. I tried restart of the computer but does not help.

1. I opened the Control Pannel --> Network and Internet --> Network connections and select properties of “VirtualBox Host-Only Network #2” (This requires admin privileges). Uncheck the “VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver” and select OK. Now edit again and re-check so that "“VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver” is selected again

2. Restart Kitematic. This time i get a new error
    > kitematic error -ENOENT: no such file or directory, open, C:\Users\Internet.docker\machine\machines\default\ca.pem

3. On checking I see that the “C:\Users\Internet.docker\machine\machines\default\ca.pem” does not exists hence i ran the following command from command prompt
    > docker-machine regenerate-certs default

This solved the issue and I am able to start docker. Hope this helps someone.

It would be of great help if the issue is resolved and normal setup can get the docker to work.