Unable to delete directory in container: rmdir: failed to remove '<DIR_NAME>' Device or resource busy

I have a dockerized application that has an entrypoint script that goes in to the container and deletes the automatically created code directory to create a link of the same name of the application directory. But every time when I run:
docker-compose up -d

The docker container keep restarting and on looking at the logs:
docker logs <container_name>

I get the error:
rmdir: failed to remove '/code': Device or resource busy

Any idea as to how to resolve this issue and what is going on?

I don’t think you will be allowed to erase the directory, but you might be able to erase the contents inside.
If you could show the Dockerfile and docker-compose file that might help figure out the issue.

Dockerfile:

FROM <USER_NAME>/al-node:latest as node

# Clone app code into /code
ARG AL_VERSION=3.0.4
ARG GIT_BRANCH
ARG GIT_URL=<URL_HERE>
ENV AL_VERSION="${AL_VERSION}"
RUN echo "git branch: ${GIT_BRANCH}"
RUN apk add --no-cache git \
    && git clone --depth 1 -b "${GIT_BRANCH}" "${GIT_URL}" code \
    && echo "Cache-bust: ${AL_VERSION}"

# ---

FROM buildpack-deps:bionic

LABEL maintainer=<NAME>
WORKDIR /code
ARG AL_VERSION=3.0.4
ENV PYTHONUNBUFFERED=1 LANG=C.UTF-8 AL_VERSION="${AL_VERSION}"

# include  packages
RUN apt-get clean \
    && apt-get update \
    && DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get install -y -q --no-install-recommends \
        build-essential \
        g++ \
        gfortran \
        python3-all-dev \
        python3-pip \
        python3-setuptools \
        python3-wheel \
    && apt-get autoremove -y \
    && ln -s /usr/bin/python3 /usr/local/bin/python \
    && ln -s /usr/bin/pip3 /usr/local/bin/pip \
    && pip install --upgrade pip setuptools wheel \
    && pip install --no-cache-dir virtualenv \
    && rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*

COPY requirements.txt /tmp/

# Install packages
RUN pip install -r /tmp/requirements.txt

#  Tini
# Keep for now to maintain backward-compatibility; better to launch with docker run --init
ENV TINI_VERSION v0.16.1
ADD https://github.com/krallin/tini/releases/download/${TINI_VERSION}/tini /tini
RUN chmod +x /tini

# entrypoint scripts
COPY entrypoint.sh /usr/local/bin

# Copy in code from node image
COPY --from=node /code /usr/local/al

# Copy in AL python code
#RUN git clone --depth 1 -b master <GIT_URL> /usr/local/al

ENTRYPOINT ["/tini", "--", "/usr/local/bin/entrypoint.sh"]
CMD ["--help"]

In the entrypoint.sh there a script like this:

if [ ! -x /code/manage.py ]; then
    # first get rid of auto-created /code directory in Dockerfile
    cd / && rmdir /code  <---------------------- FAILS HERE!!
    ln -sv /usr/local/al /code

On running docker-compose the containers come up but fails to remove the directory giving the error:
rmdir: failed to remove ‘/code’: Device or resource busy

I don’t want to give the compose file as its sensitive. Please ask me any questions that you might have. Thanks

Thanks. So explain why you can’t remove the /code directory in your Dockerfile after you COPY it to /usr/local/al

Hi Gary,

1. I am cloning the code to the /code directory on the container and then copying the code there and the node image to /usr/local/al.

2. Once copied I am creating a soft link of the /usr/locl/al directory as /code.

3. In order to that I need to delete the existing /code before I can create a link, otherwise it throws an error that fiel already exists, cannot create link.

I am currently getting the error when I am trying to remove the /code directory.

Many thanks for your time!

I’ve “simplified” your Dockerfile below to help understand your build workflow.
You have a multi stage build with 2 images: <USER_NAME>/al-node:latest and buildpack-deps:bionic. I added a RUN rm -rf /code statement after the COPY statement. The directory gets removed during the build of the image. You can then remove the erase of the directory in the entrypoint.sh script.

RUN rm -rf /code
ENTRYPOINT ["/tini", “–”, “/usr/local/bin/entrypoint.sh”]
CMD ["–help"]

I think that might work. Let me get back to you, just in case.

I’m also thinking you could create the link in the Dockerfile and remove that too from your entrypoint script.

RUN rm -rf /code && ln -sv /usr/local/al /code

ENTRYPOINT ["/tini", “–”, “/usr/local/bin/entrypoint.sh”]
CMD ["–help"]

It doesn’t help. I removed the related code from entrypoint.sh after adding them in the Dockerfile as above but it fails in this script in the entrypoint.sh:

if [ ! -f /code/al/settings/local.py ]; then
    output "Creating local.py from example ..."
    cp /code/al/settings/local.py-example /code/al/settings/local.py <---------------- FAILS HERE!!
fi

Error: cp: cannot stat '/code/al/settings/local.py-example': No such file or directory

I checked the contents of the code directory and it shows like this:

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   20 Feb  6 01:12 al -> /usr/local/al
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4.0K Feb  6 01:12 .
drwxr-xr-x 13 root root 4.0K Feb  6 04:19 ..

My question is do you guys know of this issue with creating soft links in Docker containers. Also this same code works when I run on my mac and builds just fine. This fails when I run the same code on a Debian server.

Any inputs?

Also to add to that I do not know why rmdir or rm-r is failing in the containers. As I said it works for containers spun up on a Mac but not when done on a Debian server. Thanks

Hi.

Couple of things.

Docker for MacOS runs Docker in a linux virtual box as Docker does not running natively on MacOS.
So that is “different” then running Docker on Linux. But I think the latest error you posted would happen on MacOS and Linux.

I looked at the latest error you are getting and it does not make sense to me.

if [ ! -f /code/al/settings/local.py ]; then
output “Creating local.py from example 
”
cp /code/al/settings/local.py-example /code/al/settings/local.py <---------------- FAILS HERE!!
fi

Error: cp: cannot stat ‘/code/arrowland/settings/local.py-example’: No such file or directory

The copy statement that you say is failing is:
cp /code/al/settings/local.py-example /code/al/settings/local.py
But the error shows:
Error: cp: cannot stat ‘/code/arrowland/settings/local.py-example’: No such file or directory
I don’t see the subdirectory arrowland in the cp statement in your entrypoint.sh script.

I recommend that you run your container and bring up a command prompt inside of it. Then display the contents of the /code directory and the contents of the /usr/local/al directory.

If I could see the entire contents of your entrypoint.sh script and the contents of the /code directory and the contents of the /usr/local/al at containter start time I might be able to figure out the problem.

Sorry for the confusion. I corrected the path, that was a typo.

My container keeps restarting because of the error and that makes it difficult for me to debug. It is a very weird. This is a project under development and I might run into proprietary issues so I am not sure i can share the scripts, although I understand your concern.Thanks.

Run your image in a container with a docker container run and bring up a bash shell inside the container.
Then once inside the container, run your entrypoint.sh script.

docker container run -ityour-docker-image bash

I tried that and it worked inside the container but didn’t work when I used my docker compose up.

SOLUTION: Upon investigation I found out that I was mounting a local copy in the override file for one of my services in the same location. Removed that and worked like a charm!! Thanks a lot Gary, you have been very helpful!

1 Like

Awesome! Glad you got it working.