Unable to install Docker Desktop on Windows 11

When I try to install, I get a popup saying: Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation
I don’t know what that operation is and cannot continue.
I have WSL2 installed and Hyper-V and virtualization enabled.
I also have administrator rights on Windows.

Any advice?

I am sharing my experience with Windows 10. Hopefully it will help others including yourself

License: Enterprise
Installation Failure Point: Initial install. This is not an upgrade
Error Message: Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation
I have administrator access to the computer therefore I can respond to UAC prompt however none were received

Debug steps
Verified installation of HyperV - Required for installation and Windows containers
Verified installation of WSL2 - Required if you want to use Linux containers

Since this was failure occurred during initial install I was unable to use the debug tools recommended. I tried installing from both administrator command line and clicking on install program and got the same error message

I checked the installation directories
i) C:\ProgramData\DockerDesktop <<-- When I tried to open this folder, I received a “unable to access” Windows error message. Documentation states this directory should be c:\programdata\docker but it did not apply in my case.
ii) C:\Program Files\Docker
iii) C:\Users<your user name>\AppData\Local\Docker
iv) C:\Users<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Docker

Resolution
When prompted, I took ownership of the C:\ProgramData\DockerDesktop folder and subfolders.
Reran installation to completion using normal windows desktop

What is missing?
I was not able to get any response from Docker Support on why I needed to override windows folder permission.

1 Like

This was the solution to my issue too. Thanks