Where are the linux directories on Windows 10 machine?

I’m new to Docker. I am trying to run the label-studio tool in Docker Desktop 4.1.0 (69386) on Windows 10.

I ran the following commands in a cmd with Docker Desktop started and logged in:

docker pull heartexlabs/label-studio:latest
docker run -it -p 8080:8080 -v `pwd`/mydata:/label-studio/data heartexlabs/label-studio:latest

I get this error:

docker: Error response from daemon: create `pwd`/mydata: “`pwd`/mydata” includes invalid characters for a local volume name, only “[a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9_.-]” are allowed. If you intended to pass a host directory, use absolute path.
See ‘docker run --help’.

If I use:

docker build -t heartexlabs/label-studio:latest .

I get this problem instead:

failed to solve with frontend dockerfile.v0: failed to read dockerfile: open /var/lib/docker/tmp/buildkit-mount534086065/Dockerfile: no such file or directory

I don’t know where to find the " `pwd`/mydata:/... " directory in the first error nor where to find the " /var/lib/docker… " directory in the second error to locate the files that are causing the problem. I’m working in my user directory on Windows. For example “C:/Users/John” and I don’t see anything in that directory that looks relevant to the problem. There is a .docker directory, but it doesn’t seem to have anything related to the label-studio. I would like to find the dockerfile that corresponds to the 2nd error. Apparently the error is due to the file being name Dockerfile when it is supposed to be named “dockerfile”.

Good morning John,

the word pwd in backticks is Linux-command-line-syntax to first execute the command pwd (=prints the current working directory) and use the result in the other command docker run ....
Unfortunatelly pwd is unknown to the normal command line in Windows :frowning:
But pwd exists in PowerShell :slight_smile: - then you have to use slightly different syntax: docker run -it -p 8080:8080 -v "$(pwd)/mydata:/label-studio/data" heartexlabs/label-studio:latest
Or instead of pwd in backticks you can write the complete path of the directory you want to use.

For the second problem:
With docker build ... you are trying do create a new image named heartexlabs/label-studio and tagged latest based on a Dockerfile (~ cooking recipe for creating a new image - yes, by default with an uppercase D). But I’m pretty sure you do not have this Dockerfile - therefore the mentioned errormessage.

I think resolving the first question will help so resolving the second one is not needed anymore.

2 Likes

Hi Mattias,
Thanks for the reply and explanation. Explaining that pwd was a substitute for “C/Users/john/mydata…” was very helpful.

I’m still trying to figure out some other things, but your explanation at least cleared up one mystery for me.

John