Windows 10 Enterprise - Upgrade "succeeded" but no docker vm is created, "docker desktop is starting..."

I had a previously working Docker installation on my Windows 10 Enterprise (1809) laptop (not VM) using Hyper-V.

I was prompted to install an update yesterday to 2.3.0.2. This ran an apparently succeeded without any issues

• Installer said installation succeeded
  • No errors found install log.

Then when I ran Docker for Desktop, the taskbar icon stayed animating with “Docker desktop is starting…”. After waiting for 10 minutes or so, I checked out Hyper-V. There was no VM created for Docker, nor was there a DockerNAT vSwitch.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the same version.
I then tried removing Hyper-V (reboot x2), then renabling Hyper-V (reboot x 2) and re-installing Docker for Desktop - still the same, no VM and “Docker Desktop is starting…”.

I then upgraded 2.3.0.3, same process, install succeeded according to installer, nothing in install log. Alas same problems, no VM, “Docker Desktop is starting…”

There appear to be no error messages in any of the docker log files in %appdata%, %localappdata%, %userprofile% or %programdata%.

I even tried an uninstall, manually deleting the docker and docker desktop directories in all of these locations followed by a reboot, then a clean install. Still the same issue :frowning:

Any suggestions?

I have finally managed to locate the cause of the issue.

My company uses AppLocker to restrict which applications can be run, it appears to be blocking C:\ProgramData\Docker\cli-plugins\docker-mutagen.exe mutagen daemon run from running.

I have a separate account that isn’t subject to AppLocker restrictions, running Docker Desktop as that user account gets it running fine :slight_smile: