Any active swarm communities?

Discord, Slack, Reddit etc? All I seem to get when Googling such things is “Is swarm dead 2020” which isn’t a good sign.

Did kube truly win out?

The whole world silently agreed that Kubernetes is the orchestrator of choice.

Swarm is easy to use and able to handle simpler use cases. Kubernetes gives fine control of everything, which makes it harder to use - though, simple use cases are simple in Kubernetes as well.

Are you sure about swarm beeing dead dead? My understanding is that Docker Enterprise (which is owned by Mirantis since a year or so) will stop supporting Swarm. I can not imagine that the swarm mode will disappear from the open source docker engine so soon.

Did you try Stack Overflow?

Not entirely! It was more of a joke about the SEO, because someone has asked a leading question then bumped it to the top of Google. I’m sure it’ll be kept alive but maybe new features will be lacking, not that I particularly need new features anyway.

I’d agree if you’re building something the size of Netflix or heavily cloud-based k8s is the choice, no doubt and I do use it for some clients… but Swarm just seems far simpler to get up and running for a self-hosted solution or just a few quick services, and far simpler to explain to clients who maybe just want a bit of a bowtie on Docker native without running k8s (and the first choice there is which k8s implementation and then the choices just go on ad infinitum, which again, great for larger enterprises)

I will try StackOverflow, although I was hoping there would be a community somewhere out that was a bit more chill… StackOverflow is the opposite of chill. I tried Reddit but all I got was a blockchain-based scam :wink:

just post your questions here. The only swarm cluster that remained in my live is the one in my homelab. I used to maintain dozens of swarm clusters, before the world turned on swarm cough and demanded k8s. My swarm cluster still runs next my vanila Kubernetes cluster :slight_smile:

What I love about vanila Kubernetes is: things simply work without any nasty workrounds. Ever tried to add network policies to Kubernetes Distro that entirely runs in containers (including kubelet)?