What is future of docker swarm?

I’m trying to find an official answer about the future of docker swarm. I’m hearing rumors that people are leaving it for Kubernetes and it is going to lose support soon. Can someone deny or back this?

Is this forum active?

1 Like

At Mirantis Launchpad 2020 in September keynote anounced continued support for swarm.

The Big Reveal: Docker Enterprise Container Cloud and Kubernetes

Adrian Ionel, CEO of Mirantis, and Adam Parco, Vice President of Engineering for Mirantis, will introduce Docker Enterprise Container Cloud, a new kind of cloud offering that provides a public cloud experience on any infrastructure, letting you create your own cloud without limits, whether centered on Kubernetes, Swarm, or even OpenStack.

There was another talk that I was unable to attend

Long Live Swarm!

Keep Swarm working hard for you, where needed, without slowing down Kubernetes-centric modernization efforts.

I do not know when all the recording will be on Youtube

Thank you!
I’m glad to see it is not getting discontinued

What are your thoughts about K8s and how is swarm performing in your use case?

kfrajer swarm is simple to configure and has less hardware requirements. While K8s does much more than swarm.
There are cases when you only need a smaller project what swarm could fulfill. Why spend days just to get get K8s setup when you can do it within minutes with swarm?

3 Likes

I use several raspberry pi clusters and x86 clusters to build, test, and release several coding projects. Using Docker Swarm allows me to focus on code development. With swarm there is not all the over head issues with Kubernetes large, rapidly growing and changing ecosystem that requires continuous knowledge building ( https://landscape.cncf.io/ ).

1 Like

Though to be fair: simple use cases are not hard in kubernetes either. Writting a manifest for deployments, services and ingress rules is not that complicated. Nowadays setting up a kubernetes cluster with Rancher or kubeadm is slightly more complicated then initating a swarm and joining swarm members to the cluster. Usualy those things outside the scope of what swarm offers are getting more complicated.

What you wrote is undeniable if you realy want to leverage all bits and pieces of the Kubernetes eco system. It is true that there is an awful lot to learn, which permanently needs to be updated because changes are very fast paced.

The fast phase changes might be a bit concerning in enterprise :thinking:

You do need a zoo of subject matter experts :slight_smile:

It seems like :+1:
With that in mind I’m trying to wrap my mind around the whole thing and understand what is the win with Kubernetes

With Kuberentes your imagination is the limit… none of the restrictions swarm dictates apply. I realy like the sidecar and initContainer concepts - they provide a flexibility you won’t get with swarm… no matter what. It’s feature wonderland :slight_smile:

Also Helm does a realy fabulous job in deploying even the most complicated setups with ease (once understood how the helm chart needs to be configured).

For me swarm become something that is nice and easy at home or in projects with a simple setup, appart from that: at one point the whole corporate world agreed upon that kubernetes is the only orchestrator to run containerized workloads on :wink:

1 Like

Precisely. And the abstract networking concept of Kubernetes is a way better. You can easily integrate an L7 compliant ingress, which is another beautiful feature.