Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Docker causes my computer to blue screen

We have several Dell Precision 5810 desktops. All have 1TB mirrored SSD drives and 32GB of RAM.
I have done all of the recommended updates and am using the latest version of windows.

After installing docker desktop my computer starting blue screening on a regular;are basis. There are 2 of us here with the problem. Mostly the BSOD seems to happen when were idle or away from the computer, but sometimes it happens while were working on it. The other guy here uninstalled docker desktop and has not had any BSODs. Unfortuntley, uninstalling is not an option since we need it for development.
I’ve gone as far with DELL support as I can. The minute I related the above data point to the tech they washed their hands of the whole problem. So my own troubleshooting gave them the excuse they needed to dump the case. Not their problem, talk to Microsoft or Docker.

The actual DLL reported on the BSOD is iaStorB.sys which is part of the Intel rapid storage drivers and the raid controller built into the motherboard. I have updated to the latest Intel Driver (both the latest from dell and the latest from Intel directly) but it hasn’t helped. The mini dump file revealed the following:

*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (d1)
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high.  This is usually
caused by drivers using improper addresses.
If kernel debugger is available get stack backtrace.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000008, memory referenced
Arg2: 0000000000000002, IRQL
Arg3: 0000000000000000, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
Arg4: fffff80731777218, address which referenced memory

Debugging Details:
------------------

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for iaStorB.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys

So the only thing we really know so far is if we uninstall docker completely the problem seems to go away. Anyone have any idea of something we can try to fix the problem?

Have you seen any movement on this? I’m experiencing the same issue on my home PC.

Nothing so far. I posted an issue in the Intel forums and have had a few comments. I’m going on vacation this week so I’m going to uninstall docker and see if my computer blue-screens while I’m gone. Uninstalling docker worked for my co-worker and I’m just going to verify that it works for me too.

Here is a link to the post in the Intel forums:
https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004SCWVmSAP/docker-windows-10-v1903-intel-rapid-storage-mirrored-ssds-frequent-bsods?language=en_US&t=1570448096768

Also… Updating to the latest Intel Rapid storage drivers made the BSODs a little less frequent,

OK With Docker uninstalled my computer still blue-screens. So this is not a docker issue. I’m closing this one.

I moved to the Docker Desktop Edge channel and into the Fast ring for Windows Insider.

I’m pretty sure JUST the Docker Edge build fixed the crashing issue however. I’m currently running 2.1.4.0 from the Edge channel and everything is running great.

1 Like

Some files of docker must be missing that is interrupting to run docker or windows.
There can be various other causes for the blue screen of Death.

also read here:
tenforums/bsod-crashes-debugging/2198-bsod-posting-instructions
bleepingcomputer/forums/f/233/windows-crashes-and-blue-screen-of-death-bsod-help-and-support/
community.hackernoon/t/how-i-solved-blue-screen-of-death-issues-on-my-windows-pc-story/22422

I am having the same problem of BSOD IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL after install docker on windows. If I uninstall docker and required components, the erro sotops.
Ive already formatted my notebook, update windows, drivers, bios but nothing solve the problem.

Anyone can help me?