Docker for windows won't launch

This solution worked for me, thanks!

1 Like

It simply doesn’t work
 Installation without problems but does not start. So many suggestions here, still no bug fix.

1 Like

You are Right! I have same issue. I didn’t find proper solution

Confirm that you are member of Hyper-V admins and docker-users Windows local groups. (Not remember exact group names)

I have same issue and this solution worked for me.
If your admin account is different to your user account, you must add the user to the docker-users group.

1 Like

Works like a charm
Thanks

None of these solutions works for me, I dont even get an error. My container starts 1 sec, and then exits with NO errors
 in logs nor eventviewer. Any suggestions to be able to do something?

Checked C:\Users\yande\AppData\Local\Docker\log.txt

Version: 4.4.4 (73704)
Sha1: 6619d42de8031291c9306bf94f254f429aab111c
Started on: 2022/03/24 14:30:22.903
Resources: C:\Program Files\Docker\Docker\resources
Edition: Enterprise
Id: 2009
Build: 19043
BuildLabName: 19041.1.amd64fre.vb_release.191206-1406
File: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Docker\log.txt
CommandLine: “C:\Program Files\Docker\Docker\Docker Desktop.exe” -SwitchDaemon
You can send feedback, including this log file, at Issues · docker/for-win · GitHub
[14:30:22.979][GUI ][Info ] Starting

[14:30:23.633][GUI ][Error ] Access denied to Docker. Exiting.

googled the error message and found this post Docker for Windows - Access Denied · Issue #868 · docker/for-win · GitHub.
Added my logged in windows account to the docker users group and logged out and logged into windows. Now docker desktop starts successfully.
I also added -SwitchDaemon to the docker desktop startup shortcut > properties > Target and gave full control to logged in users in security tab of the same docker desktop shortcut’s properties. Not sure if that is also required.

Nothing works
 Tried everythin!

Wasn’t able to start Docker Desktop GUI after deleting all docker related folders in AppData, uninstalling and re-installing the latest version (4.7.0) by running as Admin.
Eventually was able run after installing version 4.4.4 (run installer as admin), available here Docker for Windows release notes | Docker Documentation

This one worked for me. Thanks @xavierkj .

Do not select the recommended option: WSL instead of Hyper-V. Stick with Hyper-V instead.

Can you explain why you recommend this? What was your issue that you could solve this way? Using WSL instead of HyperV has multiple benefits so it can’t be a general recommendation. Just to mention one: HyperV is not available in Windows Home, but WSL is.

Yes. I am a beginner docker user and Docker Desktop did not start on my Windows 11 laptop with WSL’s option selected. This was the trick, which unblocked me.

Are you sure that you installed all the WSL components and enabled Windows features mentioned in the documentation? If Docker Desktop works for you with Hyper-V that is fine, but I recommend you to try again in the future when you have time to play with the installation.

Sure, I will check it out. I did not do anything fancy, all the default stuff. Perhaps the Docker installer is missing something.

This also worked for me - Docker Desktop for Windows 4.28.0 was unresponsive. We’ve problems with this version across multiple machines, I’m downgrading back to 4.27.0.

Guys, I’ve figured it out. You need to run the application as an administrator. In Windows, right click on the desktop application icon and run as administrator.

This solved the issue for me!