Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

Hyper-V container boot problems during docker setup config

When I try to run Docker Desktop for Windows, it creates a container in Hyper-V but fails with the following error:

Docker.Core.HttpBadResponseException:
Unhandled exception: job failed with message: 'DockerDesktopVM' failed to add device 'Virtual CD/DVD Disk'. (Virtual machine ID 8F0D7FB3-5FE9-4467-A4FD-AA4590820FCD)

'DockerDesktopVM': User account does not have permission required to open attachment 'C:\Users\stu\AppData\Local\Docker\vm-config\config.iso'. Error: 'General access denied error' (0x80070005). (Virtual machine ID 8F0D7FB3-5FE9-4467-A4FD-AA4590820FCD)
   at Docker.Core.Logging.ClientExceptionInterceptor.<InterceptResponseAsync>d__0.MoveNext() in C:\workspaces\stable-2.3.x\src\github.com\docker\pinata\win\src\Docker.Core\Logging\ClientExceptionInterceptor.cs:line 17

When I try to create a new container in Hyper-V Manager using the same ISO as the Docker one (i.e. C:\Program Files\Docker\Docker\resources\docker-desktop.iso), I get the same boot problem if I create the container with Generation 1. But if I create using Generation 2 then it seems to load just fine.

Has anyone had this problem before? Any ideas how to fix it?

Does anyone know if there is some way I can tell the Docker setup to create the VM in Hyper-V using Generation 2?

First time using Docker. Was hoping to move my deployment to it but struggling to get past square 1.

Thanks in advance

I figured out how to fix this - I didn’t realize but my %appdata% folder was encrypted, so I just had to unencrypt the Docker folder then ran the setup again and it worked just fine.