Install Docker Desktop on Windows could use dum help

:+1: 1025 :-1: 657

ONE OF THOSE -1 IS ME. SEEMS LIKE I HAVE A MAJORITY OF COMPANY.

I think there is enough funky things in the installation process that Docker could do better.

I’m trying Docker for the first time, and on Windows.
Adding comments ** INLINE**

What to know before you install

THIS IS AT THE TOP; YOU REALLY SHOULD READ THIS; I KNOW, MOST OF THIS IS DRIVLE LIKE HAVE ,= 4G OF RAM, BUT THIS TIME YOU SHOULD READ THIS…

System Requirements

• Windows 10 64-bit: Pro, Enterprise, or Education (Build 15063 or later).
    OK

• Hyper-V and Containers Windows features must be enabled.
    EASY FIX

• The following hardware prerequisites are required to successfully run Client Hyper-V on Windows 10:
    OK

• BIOS-level hardware virtualization support must be enabled in the BIOS settings. For more information,
      OH ! I GUESS I HAVE MY BIOS PASSWORD HERE SOMEWHERE. REALLY. ITS EASY, BUT YOU MIGHT OVERLOOK THIS, BECAUSE FIDDLING WITH YOUR BIOS IS NOT COMMON WHEN INSTALLING AN APPLICATION

Install Docker Desktop on Windows

1. Double-click Docker Desktop Installer.exe to run the installer.
    OK

2. Follow the instructions on the installation wizard to accept the license, authorize the installer, and proceed with the install.When prompted, authorize the Docker Desktop Installer with your system password during the install process. Privileged access is needed to install networking components, links to the Docker apps, and manage the Hyper-V VMs.
    PRIVILEDGED IS LIKE RUNASADMIN? YES

3. Click Finish on the setup complete dialog and launch the Docker Desktop application.

Start Docker Desktop

HOLD ON! GO TO DOCKER, AND SIGN UP. YOU WILL NEED LOGIN AND PASSWORD SHORTLY.

Docker Desktop does not start automatically after installation. To start Docker Desktop, search for Docker, and select Docker Desktop in the search results.

HOLD ON! I HAD TO RUN DOCKER DESKTOP AS ADMIN, ER, WITH PRIVILEDGED ACCESS–WAIT, THE ERROR SAID ‘ELEVATED’. IS ANY OF THAT LIKE SUDO? I WISH IT WERE THAT SIMPLE, BUT YEAH. ITS ALL THE SAME

When the whale icon in the status bar stays steady, Docker Desktop is up-and-running, and is accessible from any terminal window.

WOAH! THE DOCKER IN THE DOCK SHOULD BE SHOWN HERE TOO, BECAUSE JUST THAT ONE MENU SAYS A TON (LOGIN, SWITCH TO WINDOWS, RESTART)

After installing the Docker Desktop app, you also get a pop-up success message with suggested next steps, and a link to this documentation.

OK. I WASN’T PAYING ATTENTION TO THAT MESSAGE. DOES IT HAVE WINNING LOTTERY NUMBERS IN THERE TOO?

When initialization is complete, click the whale icon in the Notifications area and select About Docker Desktop to verify that you have the latest version.

Congratulations! You are successfully running Docker Desktop on Windows.

I WAS STILL HAVING THE SAME ERROR ABOUT ELEVATED AND A MAYBE NOT RUNNING SYSTEM PROCESS. MORE DIGGING AND I FOUND SOMEONE ELSE WITH SIMILAR PROBLEM, Docker for Windows - Access Denied. I CHECKED WINDOWS, COMPUTER MANAGEMENT > SYSTEM TOOLS > LOCAL USERS AND GROUPS > GROUPS --> DOCKER-USERS. ADMIN WAS LISTED, BUT MY LOGIN USER WAS NOT. SINCE I DON’T WISH TO RUN ANY RANDOM PROGRAM WITH ELEGATED/PRIVELEDGE/ADMIN RIGHTS, I NEEDED MY NORMAL LOGIN USER. IT WASN’T HERE.

ONE MORE THING ABOUT DOCKER LOGIN. CURIOUS, BUT I DIDN’T NOTICE THIS UNTIL AFTER LOGGING BACK INTO DOCKER.COM --THIS IS THE USER NAME, AND NOT YOUR LOGIN EMAIL. LOTS OF SERVICES JUST USE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS, SO I DIDN’T EXPECT IT HERE. WHATEVER.

THAT’S IT. GRR. Took more time than I think was needed (1-1.5 hrs), so I’m writing this in the hopes it saves some others the pain.

ODD. no ‘install’ tag for posts; WEIRD- system is telling me I have more than 2 links, but I only have one. UGG!. System thinks I have more than the max two links allowed (I only have one link, see below). I will use ALL CAPS and bold to make it all easier to read. And will dumify the docker link below

Install Docker Desktop on Windows

docs DOT docker DOT com SLASH docker-for-windows SLASH install SLASH

1 Like

I agree that the Docker Desktop on Windows 10 installation needs more explicit instructions to guide all users (newbies especially) by proactive problem-solving. It can be a major headache for new Docker users on Windows. I gave up 2x in the past with Windows 7 and finally got it to work with Docker Desktop.

For example… Memory problems happen FREQUENTLY. To allocate more memory to Docker on Windows, open Hyper-V and do the following…

Rich