This app can't run on your PC

I’m trying to install Docker Desktop for Windows on my new Windows 11 PC. I’ve downloaded the installer for windows. When I try to install, I’m instantly confronted with a popup from the OS that says:

“This app can’t run on your PC
To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher”

Troubleshooting steps I have tried include restarting and installing as administrator.

PC Specs:
|Processor|Intel(R) Core™ i7-14700 2.10 GHz|
|Installed RAM|32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)|
|System type|64-bit operating system, x64-based processor|

Windows specs:

Edition Windows 11 Enterprise
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎8/‎7/‎2024
OS build 22621.4037
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22700.1027.0

Is anyone else experiencing this and are there any suggestions?
Thanks!

1 Like

Your parameters look good. Are you sure all the requirements are met? Meaning the virtualization is enabled in BIOS/UEFI and WSL2 or Hyper-V is enabled as well as a Windows feature?

Thanks for the quick response and link! Indeed, my requirements were not all met. I turned on Hyper-V and Windows Subsystem for Linux. I also verified that virtualization was enabled through the task manager.
After that, I restarted Windows but unfortunately I still received the same error.

So the installer determines your os is incompatible with the application.
I found a topic related to it, but without a satisfying solution:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/this-app-cant-run-on-your-pc/f94db755-9416-470a-9532-de9dc6ec53d2

I can confirm that it works with Win 11 Enterprise 23H2 (OS build 22631.4037).

Update: I just updated to 22631.4112 → the installer still works

There are two installers in the documentation. So my second question is: are you sure you downloaded the one for x86 64 and not accidentally for ARM?

1 Like

Wow, that’s sneaky. I downloaded the wrong installer. I’m going to blame the UX people here. When you hover over the download button, a dropdown appears that does NOT contain the AMD64 version. It is very easy to think the top choice is the same thing, but it’s not. You have to click the button itself and not any of the choices. On top of that, the downloaded file is simply called “Docker Desktop Installer”, so you don’t know you got the wrong one.

Thank you for your help!

4 Likes

Oh, I see. I always start from the documentation like the one I linked where you have no drop down and you can also check the requirements. Although I think I wouldn’t have missed the right architecture because I would have expected only the alternatives in the list, but I can understand why it was confusing to you. That webpage should indeed be optimized as the Get Started button takes you to the sign up page instead of the documentation, but at least it is a happy end now :slight_smile: .

1 Like

I faced the same issue that the popup showed his app can’t run on Windows
so I do re-download the app and its run successfully

also try to run these commands on the window for enable wsl 2

open the cmd and run these commands:

Enable WSL: Run the following command to enable the WSL feature:

dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux /all /norestart

Enable Virtual Machine Platform: Run the following command to enable the Virtual Machine Platform feature:

dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:VirtualMachinePlatform /all /norestart

Set WSL 2 as default: Open PowerShell as Administrator and run the following command:

wsl --set-default-version 2

To enable Hyper-V and Containers:

• Open PowerShell as Administrator.
  • Run the following command to enable both features

dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Hyper-V-All /all /norestart
dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:Containers-DisposableClientVM /all /norestart

You can try download from this and choose Windows. It’s work for me

1 Like

I met the same issue, I enabled all specified features, I installed wsl, & 2 is the default, virtualiziation is enabled…
I can’t find what the problem would be!

If you had the same issue, the same solution should help which is downloading the right installer for the right architecture as described in our previous posts.

Man i faced the exact same problem as you HAHAHAHA i was trying to install and re-install several times and all of my configurations was metting with the documentantion, BUT I WAS TRYING TO DOWLOAD THE ARM64 JAJAJAJA

I managed to solve it!

It was quite simple. I just needed to download the Docker Desktop for Windows - x86_64 from this link. Then, open cmd as an administrator, navigate to the folder where the installer was downloaded using the command:

cd "folder_path"

After that, just run the following command:

start /w "" "Docker Desktop Installer.exe" install

This worked for me. Hope it helps others!

1 Like

1. Even after this, I faced an error during WSL 2 installation (Error 0x80370102). To fix this, I followed these steps:
  • Enabled Hyper-V: Open Control Panel > Programs > Turn Windows features on or off, and make sure Hyper-V is checked.
  • Enabled Virtualization in BIOS: Restart your PC and enter the BIOS (usually by pressing F2, Esc, or Delete). Enable Intel Virtualization Technology (or AMD-V), save the changes, and reboot.
  • Reset Virtual Machine Platform: If the problem persists, try disabling and re-enabling the Virtual Machine Platform using these commands:

Command to Enable Hypervisor: Open PowerShell as administrator and execute the following command to ensure the hypervisor is automatically initialized:

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto

Disable:

dism.exe /online /disable-feature /featurename:VirtualMachinePlatform /norestart

Re-enable:

dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:VirtualMachinePlatform /all /norestart

After following these steps, everything worked perfectly. Hope this helps others who run into the same issue!

Just weighing in that this also got me. It’s not typical for the default option to not be in a dropdown, and there is a visually similar option where it would normally be.

ARM64 Windows builds are still fairly new and most people (including experienced software developers) will have never seen this error. Windows is not particularly helpful in what it says (the popup doesn’t mention ARM or x64 or ‘architecture’ or any real hint of the problem). Googling the error without the exact words shows entirely irrelevant results; Googling the exact words still shows many irrelevant results as this or a similar message can be shown for reasons other than wrong-arch and it’s not anyone’s first expectation of the problem (again due to new-ness).

Most of that is beyond control of the Docker team, but the UX could be improved here.

Thank you for your feedback! I already shared this topic with the Docker staff and suggested either changing the UI or including the architecture in the name of the downloaded file. They will discuss it internally.

Anyone else, who had the same problem, please, keep sharing here, so they can see how many users are affected (meaning, how many users realized they were affected).

1 Like

It seems I was either wrong and clicked on another button… or it was fixed, because now the the getting started button points to docs.

hey! this is works for me, iam already enabling hyperv and wsl services.
installed with docker version 4.34.0, using latest docker version can’t run on my laptop.
I was using Windows 11 pro 23H2.

same thing just happened to me lmao

Just visit Windows | Docker Docs for the x86_64 version, UI.UX people to blame!