Installing Docker on Windows 10 Home

I have successufully installed Hyper-V and Docker at windows 10 Home and it works well now! It had been a pain, but here is the solution:

The advice how to install Hyper-V can be found at:

It is just running the following *.bat script as Admin that will install the Hyper-V components (reboot required):

pushd "%~dp0"
dir /b %SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\*Hyper-V*.mum >hyper-v.txt
for /f %%i in ('findstr /i . hyper-v.txt 2^>nul') do dism /online /norestart /add-package:"%SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\%%i"
del hyper-v.txt
Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Hyper-V -All /LimitAccess /ALL
pause

I installed the Containers feature too, but I don’t know if this is required:

pushd "%~dp0"
dir /b %SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\*containers*.mum >containers.txt
for /f %%i in ('findstr /i . containers.txt 2^>nul') do dism /online /norestart /add-package:"%SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\%%i"
del containers.txt
Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:Containers -All /LimitAccess /ALL
pause

Now as Hyper-V works you can’t install Docker anyway, as the setup checks for your Windows Home and not for a running Hyper-V envirorment. I hadn’t been able to modify the current Docker installer so I need to download and install the old “Docker for Windows 1.13.1” release ( Docker Desktop release notes | Docker Docs ) as it has an msi installer. With InstallShield2018 I could easily remove the Windows Home Edition check from the Docker installer. With this modified installer Docker can be installed and is running well, but up to now I failed to update Docker to the current version.

Unfortunately the Docker license prohibit to share my modified Docker installer, so I created a Patch for the Docker 1.13.1 installer you can download here:
http://www.mayavoyage.de/wp-content/uploads/InstallDocker1.13.1-Patch.zip

I hope the above Hyper-V installation for Windows 10 Home will be included info future Docker installers and the check for Windows 10 Home get removed - it would make life so easy!

Now enjoy Docker,
Marcel Hesselbarth

9 Likes