Installing Docker on Windows 10 Home

After some digging I accept docker will not work on Home edition.
If you see Hyper-V in the below image on your pc, you Should be able to install.
If anyone finds a way to install Hyper-v on home edition please send link :slight_smile:

HyperV will not run on Windows Home thus end of story docker need HyperV or try virtualbox on home

Windows 10 Hyper-V System Requirements

• 05/01/2016

Hyper-V is available in 64-bit version of Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education. Hyper-V requires Second Level Address Translation (SLAT) – present in the current generation of 64-bit processors by Intel and AMD.

You can run 3 or 4 basic virtual machines on a host that has 4GB of RAM, though you’ll need more resources for more virtual machines. On the other end of the spectrum, you can also create large virtual machines with 32 processors and 512GB RAM, depending on your physical hardware.

Operating System Requirements

The Hyper-V role can be enabled on these versions of Windows 10:

• Windows 10 Enterprise
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • Windows 10 Education

The Hyper-V role cannot be installed on:

• Windows 10 Home
  • Windows 10 Mobile
  • Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise

Hi docker Run on Windows 10 Home via the old way with Install Docker Toolbox on Windows check install virtualbox and Virtual instruction set enable in Bios. (https://youtu.be/wPYzVBmz50o)

1 Like

I have successufully installed Hyper-V and Docker at windows 10 Home and it works well now! It had been a pain, but here is the solution:

The advice how to install Hyper-V can be found at:

It is just running the following *.bat script as Admin that will install the Hyper-V components (reboot required):

pushd "%~dp0"
dir /b %SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\*Hyper-V*.mum >hyper-v.txt
for /f %%i in ('findstr /i . hyper-v.txt 2^>nul') do dism /online /norestart /add-package:"%SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\%%i"
del hyper-v.txt
Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Hyper-V -All /LimitAccess /ALL
pause

I installed the Containers feature too, but I don’t know if this is required:

pushd "%~dp0"
dir /b %SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\*containers*.mum >containers.txt
for /f %%i in ('findstr /i . containers.txt 2^>nul') do dism /online /norestart /add-package:"%SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\%%i"
del containers.txt
Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:Containers -All /LimitAccess /ALL
pause

Now as Hyper-V works you can’t install Docker anyway, as the setup checks for your Windows Home and not for a running Hyper-V envirorment. I hadn’t been able to modify the current Docker installer so I need to download and install the old “Docker for Windows 1.13.1” release ( Docker Desktop release notes | Docker Docs ) as it has an msi installer. With InstallShield2018 I could easily remove the Windows Home Edition check from the Docker installer. With this modified installer Docker can be installed and is running well, but up to now I failed to update Docker to the current version.

Unfortunately the Docker license prohibit to share my modified Docker installer, so I created a Patch for the Docker 1.13.1 installer you can download here:
http://www.mayavoyage.de/wp-content/uploads/InstallDocker1.13.1-Patch.zip

I hope the above Hyper-V installation for Windows 10 Home will be included info future Docker installers and the check for Windows 10 Home get removed - it would make life so easy!

Now enjoy Docker,
Marcel Hesselbarth

9 Likes

Marcel, I found the easiest way to install Docker 2.0 for Windows on a Win 10 Home 1809 system is getting a Win 7 Pro license from eBay (cost me about $10, key received within about 2 minutes after purchase), then changing the product key in Win 10 Home to the Win 7 Pro key I just bought, and then upgrading to Win 10 Pro (for free) from there. After that. the latest Docker for Windows version installed flawlessly (with two reboots, the 1st to install Docker features, and the 2nd one let Docker enable Hyper-V).

1 Like

Thanks Marcel, I just tried it and it worked flawlessly on windows 10 home. I ran both scripts. Hopefully, like you said, docker will check if the Hyper-V installation exists vs the windows edition

Frustrating, I meet all the requirements and it has been impossible for me to install, I even had to deactivate Virtualization in the BIOS because otherwise Super Windows Pro did not start.

Thank you hessi9!

With your tip, I was able to install the latest version of Docker on windows 10 Home:

1- I just used your * .bat script to install the Hyper-V components

2- After to install the last version (with .exe file and not need to use an old .msi modified file), I just had to temporarily modify the windows registry to validate the prerequisites:

Change in \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion :
EditionID: Core --> Professional
ProductName: Windows 10 Home --> Windows 10 Pro
(Not sure “ProductName” it’s necessary, I think only the “EditionID” key is used)

After installing docker, remember to restore the original keys !!!

4 Likes

Didn’t work for me :frowning:

27.01.2019 I’ve sucessfully installed docker on win 10 Home (1809) machine:

1. need to install both Hyper-V and Containers mentioned above,
    1. need to overwrite the registry properties mentioned above.
    1. Just run the latest official docker installer for Windows :slight_smile:

and done, docker is installed.

Thank you mapk and hessi9 for your work !
Docker is now successfuly installed on my Windows 10 Home, and works like a charm !!

Instalation was ok but when I run it says:
“Docker doesn’t support your Windows version. Check documentation for minimum requirements”

I had this problem sometimes, for example by doing a update of Docker after problems with kinematic
 Don’t use “check for update”, but manually install the latest version.
Normally if you change the two keys in the register, just the time to pass the checks, install and run must work.
Maybe after installation, you have to run Docker a first time before resetting the defaults keys and restarting the PC. I remember I did that and docker worked fine.

Or maybe your Windows 10 version is not up to date? I have 17134 for CurrentBuild and 1803 for ReleaseId
“Docker System Requirements: 1607 Anniversary Update, Build 14393 or later”

I just bought a win 10 pro key for ÂŁ9.49

I have exactly this Windows version. Docker is version 18.09.1, build 4c52b90. The keys are automatically reset after restarting. Tried to reinstall and start. Same problem.

Rather than trying to find a workaround I found that buying a win10 pro key for ÂŁ9.49 is much less hassle.
but thats if your willing to pay just to upgrade.

Thanks for that :wink:

I have run your two scripts and Hyper-V components was added perfectly. To install docker I have used @mapk solution (thanks for that). Finally I had problem with Docker Pull Command (I had error 
 something). I used that topic to solve this problem: fresh install - could not read CA certificate. The system cannot find the path specified. · Issue #1746 · docker/for-win · GitHub (leehaskings commented on 27 Apr 2018).

Remove DOCKER_* from command prompt or PowerShell, i used PowerShell. using following steps

[Environment]::SetEnvironmentVariable(“DOCKER_CERT_PATH”, $null, “User”)
[Environment]::SetEnvironmentVariable(“DOCKER_HOST”, $null, “User”)
[Environment]::SetEnvironmentVariable(“DOCKER_MACHINE_NAME”, $null, “User”)
[Environment]::SetEnvironmentVariable(“DOCKER_TLS_VERIFY”, $null, “User”)
[Environment]::SetEnvironmentVariable(“DOCKER_TOOLBOX_INSTALL_PATH”, $null, “User”)

And now every thing works great on my Windows home 10. I’m happy of that :wink:

tomek

1 Like

Can someone confirm if @mapk and @hessi9 method works for installing docker in Windows 10 Home 1809 as I don’t want to mess up my laptop. Also in Docker Toolbox I get the following error while installing even though virtualisation is enabled in BIOS:

This computer doesn’t have VT-X/AMD-v enabled.

Hyper-V and Virtualbox don’t work together:

Thanks @hessi9 and @mapk, docker runs great on windows 10 home with your fixes :slight_smile: virtualization needs to be enabled in bios for docker to start/
Docker should allow windows 10 home since it works