Use Docker Pro subscription inside a company that uses an open source alternative

Hi,

My company starts to migrate to an open source alternative. Since I would like to continue using Docker for Mac, could I upgrade only my account to a Pro subscription that I’ll pay on my own? If yes, could I continue to use my PC with Pro subscription inside my company network for my work without any legal issue or do I have to upgrade to a Business plan?

Best regards,
Anh Tuan Kieu

As far as I know, yes, you can pay for your Pro subscription and use it for commercial projects at the company.

Unfortunately it is hard to find a clear list of what you can or can’t do with a subscription and I am not a Docker staff member to give you an offical answer, but I quote from the FAQ:

I work at a large company (5,000 employees, $2 billion annual revenue) and have been using Docker Desktop for free. Under the new subscription terms, do I need a paid subscription to continue using Docker Desktop?

Yes. Commercial use of Docker Desktop at a company of more than 250 employees OR more than $10 million in annual revenue requires a paid subscription (Pro, Team, or Business) to use Docker Desktop. While the updated terms for Docker Desktop are effective as of August 31, 2021 there is a grace period until January 31, 2022 for those that need to transition from a free to a paid subscription to use Docker Desktop.

I highlighted that it says you can have Pro licence which is for individual developers.

Also notice the conditions:

more than 250 employees OR more than $10 million in annual revenue

So if you are working for a smaller company with less profit, you may continue to use Docker Desktop for free. But I guess the company wanted to use an alternative because otherwise they should have paid for Docker Desktop.

Hi there,

Thank you for your response. Exactly, my company has much more than 250 employees, that’s why they want to switch to the open-source solution.

I am ready to pay myself a Pro subscription to avoid headaches migrating to this solution but I will also need to make sure that my company will not face any legal issue, otherwise it’d be me that the letter from Docker lawer is sent to :smiley:

I hope that someone from Docker could clarify this question.

Hi, yes this is fine, you can use a Pro subscription in the company.

1 Like