Docker Community Forums

Share and learn in the Docker community.

What limits do the Docker CE EULA impose on its commercial use?

I would appreciate some clarity on the limits the Docker CE EULA impose on its use in commercial products?

The Docker CE for Windows EULA states the following:

DOCKER FOR WINDOWS 18.03.1-ce-win65 END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT

1.1. Licensed Software. Subject to Customer’s compliance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement, Docker hereby grants Customer a perpetual, revocable, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sub-licensable license to download, install and use the Licensed Software on a single computer, solely in object code format, and solely for Customer’s internal business purposes.

I’m particularly unsure about:

1. “on a single computer”: if I have multiple computers, is a separate Docker CE instance on each of them acceptable? so is this EULA per Docker CE instance?
  2. “solely for Customer’s internal business purposes”: what exactly is meant by “internal”? does it exclude all undertakings where a business make use of Docker CE in its commercial product offerings?

The online EULA version seems to leave the “single computer” part out but the rest still apply: https://www.docker.com/legal/docker-software-end-user-license-agreement