Why does this forum feel so unmoderated?

If this site is set to automatically update based on GitHub changes by Discourse then it was Discourse that fixed the issue and not some admin here, so I would not be so quick as to think that there is an active admin.

Maybe the best (and almost funny) example in Exports seems to be a protected word in COPY, where the bot was thinking “word” referred to a question about an Office application on the Docker forums:

Follow these simple steps to do it: Step 1: Open the Microsoft Word document that you want to unprotect and then click on “File” and select “Protect Document” under the section marked “Info”. Step 2: In the drop-down menu, select “Encrypt with Password” and then remove the password from the password field. Click “OK”.

(Possibly copied from here, but the very same guide can be found on other blogs as well. So this may very well be plagiarism of plagiarized content.)

That offer still stands. But even without moderators being assigned: I see quite a few posts being hidden while awaiting moderation, after a few people flagged those posts, like:

It seems a single flag does not suffice, but one or two additional flags probably trigger hiding the post. Not as good as actual removal, but still: flag, please!

As I am an admin on other Discourse sites, the number of flags needed is set by the admins

and I believe defaults to 5.

However there is also

which I did not know existed until just now. I don’t even know how a num_spam_flags_to_silence_new_user spam flags is created. Is it a flag that has been approved by an admin? I plan to check on this but not any time soon as it is not of a high importance on the site I admin.

If others want to follow up the site to reach out to the developers of Discourse is https://meta.discourse.org/

Its sad to see the state of this forum at this point, I think, the only mod/staff I have really seen active here, is @bryceryan which also have provided a lot of help removing spam topic in the past. But also his last active time is a couple of months ago.

But I hope that maybe @justincormack will see this topic and bring some light on the situation, there is for sure a lot of useful information here, and a few people here still keeping it alive.
So I dont hope to see it go in the future.

Maybe just atleast give some of us “veterans” extended permissions

2 Likes

I’ve been in touch with someone at Docker, who wrote May 5th:

Our team has plans to work on the forums once DockerCon has passed.

So, if all is well then things may improve after May 27th. Also, she recommended to reach out to Head of Community, @jawxies, on Slack. I’ve not received a reply to my messages on Slack (May 8th) and here (May 13th) yet, but only a week has passed and surely folks are busy. Fingers crossed?

Hi @avbentem ! Thanks for reaching out and many many thanks for your interest in helping with the forums - I’m really sorry for the late reply. We are knee-deep in DockerCon planning - once our conference is over, I’ll have plenty of time to chat. Please do ping me on Slack. My handle on Slack is @William, not @jawxies.

Many thanks again!

William

2 Likes

Good news! I talked to @jawxies today and I can now do the much awaited moderation. There’s quite some backlog (but I guess most is about @lewish95 who/which I disabled right away), so I hope to finish cleaning up soon.

moderation backlog

I see a few people (notably @terpz) have been flagging a lot: thanks, and please keep that going. If anyone is trying to reach William Quiviger on Slack, be sure to use @William (the one with the photo), not @William Quiviger.

2 Likes

Finally a silver lining :slight_smile: