Can't run Docker for Mac after restoring from TimeMachine

I’m on a 2015 MBPr, with latest macOS Sierra. I’m trying to install and use the latest Docker for Mac (1.12.3 i think?)

I’ve recently had to buy a new laptop because my 2012 Macbook Pro died. I picked up a refurbished 2015 MBPr, and have restored all of my data (not apps) from my Time Machine backup.

Only, now Docker for Mac won’t run. :frowning:

I download the latest (stable) Docker for Mac, drag it into my apps folder, and that’s fine. But when I try to run it, the system bar at the top of the screen only shows a blank space where the Docker icon should be.

When I hover over it, I get the spinning beachball of doom.

When I look at Activity Monitor, it says “docker (not responding)” with 7 threads and zero CPU time.

I tried to run the command line uninstall, hoping that it may have just been a bad setting somewhere from pulling in my data from the previous laptop, but that ran into the same problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can completely clean out any leftover items from a previous Docker for Mac install, so that I can fix this?

Or any other tips on how to fix this?

Thanks,

• Derick

i got it fixed

found this thread on github https://github.com/docker/for-mac/issues/8

and basically followed the instructions they had throughout the conversations, to remove everything.

looks like the important bit was the “com.docker.vmnetd” process found via launchctl.

i stopped all docker processes (kill -9 or force quit), then deleted ~/Library/Containers/com.docker.docker and ~/Library/Containers/com.docker.helper then rebooted

i verified that com.docker.vmnetd was no longer running, then re-installed docker for mac by dragging it from the .dmg to applications again

started docker and a few moments later, i got the dialog asking me to install the helper. typed my password and docker is working again.