Docker crashes on OS X after update to 1.12

Docker frequently crashes after updating to 1.12 on OS X 10.11.4. I am working to identify under what circumstances. Restarting Docker using the button or relaunching the program does not resolve; reboot fixes.

Information

Diagnostic ID: 3E4B60B6-05E6-4C5F-9644-EF7D15F4137F

Docker for Mac: version: mac-v1.12.0-beta16.2
OS X: version 10.11.4 (build: 15E65)
logs: /tmp/20160622-112409.tar.gz
failure: docker ps failed: Failure(“docker ps: timeout after 10.00s”)
[ERROR] docker-cli
docker ps failed
[OK] app
[OK] menubar
[OK] virtualization
[OK] system
[OK] osxfs
[OK] db
[OK] slirp
[OK] moby-console
[OK] logs
[OK] vmnetd
[OK] env
[OK] moby
[OK] driver.amd64-linux

I’m seeing a similar issue too. But for me, it’s occurring after a machine crash (which seems to be happening quite a bit more since installing 1.12 and wasn’t happening before that). Every time after my machine crashes, docker ps times out and the only way to resolve has been to reset to factory defaults.

Diagnostic ID: 8989A7EA-1CAE-4638-9526-6C92726A8032

I did a factory reset and the problem still occurred on boot of the application. It seemed to resolve by itself after sleeping the computer.

Here are the logs: http://pastebin.com/jDujG3k9

Problem continues. I have a container that reproducibly causes the issue (tbenst/spyking). Requires a 4GB data file though…can send if interested.

9ABBA6FC-4C56-4EC4-B362-B2E7265757B9

Just thought I’d add my own investigation results.

$ docker --version
Docker version 1.12.0-rc2, build 906eacd, experimental
$ docker run -it -v /Users/johnoc:/foo ubuntu:latest bash

I can run the above command all day long and not crash the docker machine. But if I modify the command to this one:

$ docker run -it -v /Users/johnoc/:/foo ubuntu:latest bash

Then I can get the docker machine to crash about 50% of the time.

Eg.

$ docker run -it -v /Users/johnoc/:/foo ubuntu:latest bash
docker: Error response from daemon: mkdir /Users: file exists.

At this point the whale icon starts to animate and I can see the docker machine restart.

Hi,
I seem to have a similar problem: After the update, all docker commands run indefinetly, Kitematic gets stuck on 99% when checking the docker connection.

The only commands that do work are docker --version and docker --help.

My Diagnostic ID: 739601CF-CB52-4D55-98A1-54F20FFB3ACE

Update: After a complete system reboot docker ps does return the following:
$ docker ps
Error response from daemon: Bad response from Docker engine

Thanks for the hint.

I was experiencing the same problem - Kitematic stuck at 99%, and all Docker commands (except for --version and --help) hang indefinitely.

Sleeping the computer solved the problem instantly.

FYI … Docker for Mac,
Docker version 1.12.0-rc3, build 91e29e8, experimental

I’m having similar problems with Docker app Version 1.12.3 (13776) on two of our projects.

It all seems to work just fine, but then seemingly randomly stops. After which I cannot get any sense out of docker ps, can’t CTRL + C to kill the process, and only seem to be able to get round it by closing my terminal window, opening a new one, removing the containers, and firing it all up again.

It’s very annoying, and a total waste of time, especially in terms of loss of developer focus.

I cannot for the life of me figure out some common thing which is triggering the crash. Sometimes it crashes in the middle of running our full Behat suite, but I’m trying to kill it now by running the suite in four terminal windows at once, and it seems to be coping just fine.

Has anyone got to the bottom of this?