Docker Error response from daemon: manifest not found when running container following Get Started Tutorial

I am attempting to follow the docker get-started tutorial and have encountered a problem on part 2 under the section

Pull and run the image from the remote repository

The command it says to run is

docker run -p 4000:80 username/repository:tag

I run that:

sudo docker run -p 4000:80 <username>/getting -started:part2

and I get

Unable to find image '<username>/getting-started:part2' locally
docker: Error response from daemon: manifest for <username>/getting-started:part2 not found.
See 'docker run --help'.

‘docker run --help’ is just a list of command options for run so is no help.

Since I followed the previous instructions in the tutorial I have the repository on docker hub, and can see it there, so the push was successful.

I don’t understand what I am doing wrong or why I can’t pull it down.

Can anyone see my mistakes or figure out why it can’t find the image and the error shows up?

I am using an Amazon Linux 2 machine one AWS EC2, with mobaxterm.

3 Likes

I had the same problem at first, then I checked the spelling. I wrote get-startet instead of get-started. Maybe you have (or had) the same problem. Maybe this post helps some newbies :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@murphyjohn have you resolved that?coz i have the same problem.

I solved it using the tag that I want to pull.
I hope that this could be helpful

You are aware that the previous steps to buid, tag an push the image (after a docker login of course) are cruical for the endavor to work. Either one of those steps didn’t finish with success OR reponame:tag is not used consistently between the steps.

The tutorial steps in https://docs.docker.com/get-started/part2/ are correct.

I have faced this problem although I figure out the problem.
I solved this problem by this command: docker run imagename:tag

1 Like

Faced the same issue.
here is what I did.
Right next to the image you wanted to download, there is a command. something like this.
docker pull oraclelinux

I got the same error.
Error response from daemon: manifest for oraclelinux:latest not found: manifest unknown: manifest unknown

What I did:
Click on View available tags below the command.

choose a image from the list which shows up.
docker pull oraclelinux:8.3

2 Likes

this worked, adding rhe specific tag of image and issue is resolved

I had this issue with apache/zeppelin an just as @manojp1902 and @chetan024 found out you need to normally issue a existing tag.

To cut a long story short: using ‘latest’ is not a good idea and they seems to have stopped using it.
See: manifest for apache/zeppelin:latest not found · Issue #4677 · docker/kitematic · GitHub
Reasoning: What's Wrong With The Docker :latest Tag? · vsupalov.com

To find the ‘most recent’ - just go to docker and look at the tags
 an pull by the one you need.

Not saying this answers everyone’s problem, but it made a whole lot of sense in the round!

1 Like

I hope your error is resolved. But for many who are trying to pull the image from the docker hub. The issue is that you haven’t pushed anything to that repo. So go to command prompt to your working directory and push that code to your repo using “docker push docker_id/repo_name” or tag your local image to the repo if that is the case.
Hope this resolves the issue.

Uhh this is my first time using Docker and I get Errors in the tutorial? I am literally clicking the command, it copy pastes and it throws an error? on step 2. Are you kidding me with this? Why would I use this program if I cant even get through the supposed “teach me how to use this thing” step? Now I just have this bad experience to go off of and I have learned nothing

docker build -t docker101tutorial .cd getting-started
“docker build” requires exactly 1 argument.

So in your own tutorial you copy paste lines of code that don’t work? Why would you do this?

docker build -t docker101tutorial .docker run --name repo alpine/git cl
one https://github.com/docker/getting-started.git
unknown flag: --name
See ‘docker build --help’.

Docker requires some knowledge about Linux or at least some about working with command lines. The commands that you quoted are wrong, because of the missing line breaks. Although you did not tell us where you click on the commands (you can’t click on those in the web based tutorial that way), I guess you are trying to use Docker Desktop’s Quick start guide.

Those commands are not running automatically. You need to press enter so you can change to command before running it. It is useful when you don’t want that “getting-started” folder in your home folder so you can copy that somewhere else. But now that you mention it, I am not sure that is a feature and not a bug. It was totally logical to me, but when a step contains multiple commands, only the last command will be waiting for an ENTER.

If you just click “Next step”, you will insert an other command before executing the previou command. ON the other hand, your error message indicates that you did not even click on “Next Step”, because cd getting-started should be the first line and the docker build the second.

So I guess you

• started the quick start guide
  • Clicked on the first commands to insert those into the terminal, as a result you cloned the “getting-started” project from github
  • Pressed ENTER, so you copied the “getting-started” folder to your home folder.
  • Clicked on “Next step” to get these commanda:
    cd getting-started
    docker build -t docker101tutorial .

• As a result of the previous point, you changed the directory to “getting-started”, but the second line remained in your terminal waiting for an ENTER
  • You did not press ENTER, nor the “Next step” button, but clicked on the same commands again, so you get this the previous line:

and inserted the same two lines again to have:
    docker build -t docker101tutorial .cd getting-started

which had a line break after “getting-started” so tried to execute the invalid command.

Let us know, if you still have problem, but try to always explain where you get an error message, what you tried to use exactly, so we can try to help, and if it turns out, you found a bug, we can tell you where you can report it, or depending on the issue, report it for you.

Note that, this is a community forum, so most of us are not Docker staff and we don’t maintain official tutorials, especially not Docker Desktop, so we can’t fix it.

I had the similar problem.
play-with-docker.com can’t identify the tag “latest”

I did something similar, using windows.
After reading everything again I managed to solve:
After logging in (by powershell or docker), still in the path of the previously downloaded “app”, use:

docker tag getting-started YOUR-USER-NAME/getting-started

after:

docker push YOUR-USER-NAME/getting-started

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

That worked for me, thank you very much!